Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This bad boy was cruzing the park near a playground this morning. It's a 7 gallon bucket it's in just to guage the size. Biggest copperhead I've seen in long while, and I've seen a bunch.

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
that will keep you on your toes !

·
Premium Member
8,169 Posts
Thankfully, we don't have copperheads this far north... Or water moccasins (cottonmouths - same thing, right?), or coral snakes... At least not that I have ever seen. All we have is rattlesnakes. Not even sure what "species" of rattlesnakes they are - - we always just called them rattlesnakes and didn't worry about knowing whether or not they were prairies, diamondbacks, timbers, and such.

·
Premium Member
3,002 Posts
This 80+ weather will sure start things crawling.I just put two snake-shot loads in my pocket pistol after carrying five hollow points all winter.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Curious as to what the over all length was? That looks to be a very large one. In our area I see some that are just a tad over 31".

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Timber said:
Curious as to what the over all length was? That looks to be a very large one. In our area I see some that are just a tad over 31".
The guy that caught it said it was just under 3'.

·
Administrator
23,807 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
I hate those things...

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
Brad Dundee said:
darn politicians I hate them also...
Yes those too! They are all reptilian by nature and actions..

·
Registered
890 Posts
We have plenty-o-snakes here. Eastern diamondbacks, pygmy rattlers, cottonmouths, and coral snakes. The pygmies and cottonmouths are very common. It can make it pretty interesting to work in the woods this time of year.

·
Super Moderator
19,139 Posts
We have so few rattlesnakes in my area of Oregon I don't give m a thought. If I go to Eastern Oregon I look for them constantly. I have only killed 2. I wonder how many I didn't see.

·
Registered
890 Posts
me said:
We have so few rattlesnakes in my area of Oregon I don't give m a thought. If I go to Eastern Oregon I look for them constantly. I have only killed 2. I wonder how many I didn't see.
I don't fret too much about them here either. If you worry about snakes you never get anything done. I see people wearing snake chaps, but my usual uniform is shorts and 6" boots. You have to remember that venom is expensive to produce and snakes don't want to waste it on anything they can't eat. I don't know how many times I've looked down at my feet and seen a cottonmouth with his mouth wide open (some are big enough it looks like a dixie cup). Just about pee myself every time, but haven't been bitten yet.

The average snake bite victim is male, under 30, and intoxicated. "Hey, ya'll watch this" :).

·
Super Moderator
19,139 Posts
Coalsmoke a party of drinkers run out of beer before they run out of nerve in Medford Or. They decided to get a snake supposedly to sell venom for beer. They found the rattler and 1 guy got bit 2X before they retreated to hospital ;D

·
Registered
890 Posts
You really do learn something new every day.

Until this post, I thought Oregon was devoid of rattlesnakes and ********. ;D

·
Super Moderator
19,139 Posts
We got a few of each... but more round heads just look at our politics :)

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
There is a reason that they crawl intead of walking---I care a short shotgun in all thing I do during haying and have found it to do a fine job!!
Comstock

·
Super Moderator
19,139 Posts
Billy Comstock I didn't know you had a shot gun...I thought you parcel to a 1860 Henery 44 rimfire ;D

·
Registered
54 Posts
when I was in my 20's I was helping a friends mother clean out her flower beads to put in new mulch and got taged by a pigmi rattler spent the next 4 days in the hospital the first 14 hr I was in intensive care unit I got bit on my index finger on my left hand it swole up so bad that I thought the skin was going to bust open I was lucky I did not loose my hand the doctors were talking about cutting it off and I was having nothing to do with that and I still have it so what I am saying do not get bit by any of the posionous snakes oh for that ordeal it cost me $1800 I would hate to think what it would cost today D Crockett

1 - 20 of 22 Posts