Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, today i was taking apart my marlin 336 in 30-30 (remington) all the way down, i am pretty experienced in tinkering and taking apart/putting back together anything with moving parts. my problem came after the thorough cleaning and while puttin back the trigger plate screw, the trigger plate support screw and the hammer screw, the three holes are not lined up properly. the only way of getting two in is to force the plate to the point im worried about it warping and you can see the threads are offset from the, for lack of better terms right now, the entrance hole on the receiver for the screws. i did not take off the magazine or forestock, just the trigger assembly which shouldnt be causing undue stress, but if it is i will try it if you recommend it. so other than taking a dremel and re aligning the holes on the trigger plates to where they look like they are supposed to be, any suggestions?

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Wait till you get you answers I was thinking their may be a video in Reference Library or photos that may help have a look and see in..

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, i was hoping something would be there but im pretty sure this isnt a normal problem or user error anymore are i have tried just the trigger plate with no hammer or carrier or locking lug, just the plate and same thing.
im more than likely have to get in touch with whoever at remington is now handling "marlin" however there is no contact info for them anywhere, so advice on the problem or contact info for remington's marlin people would be greatly appreciated.
hell im just glad its no longer deer season, just planting and plinkin season.

·
Premium Member
1,606 Posts
If it worked fine before you took it apart, DO NOT take the dremel to it. Many perfectly good parts have been ruined, in haste to quickly solve a problem. Leave it lay read up in the reference section and wait for some more info to come back. I find many times if I just walk away and come back later I usually find a simple mistake I have made or simply have better luck in getting things to work. Sorry I do not have any specific suggestions for you. I am sure some other members will.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Hang loose for day or so someone will chime in

·
Banned
3,028 Posts
If the forearm is still on than it may be catching it . It WILL go back together as is . Never heard of this problem before . Keep fiddling with it , you will get it to go. Chang hats , get some tea , smoke one if you do that , you'll get it without grinding anything. :)

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Are the trigger and trigger spring pins below flush and not hanging up on the receiver?
Is the hammer out of the gun?
The bolt?
Is the locking bolt fully seated and not hung up?
Are you leaving all the screws loose until you get them all in?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imashooter, to answer your question, nothing is hanging up. even with everything out of the trigger pate, the trigger, the springs etc, and everything out of the receiver, the loading gate, the carrier, the locking lug, the hammer. with everything out so i can just line up the trigger plate alone on the receiver and screw it in i am able to see that it does not line up, it will be fine with one screw in and the other two will be about a millimeter off from lining up for the screw to go in without extreme amounts of force, which i am not willin to do as i can just strip the threading off the screws or strip the heads themselves. it does no matter which screw is in the other two will be off enough for them to not line up properly. the trigger plate support screw threads look buggered from the factory, as is has two landings and looks stripped and forced at an angle going back towards the rear stock. the amount of tightness on the screws hasnt made a difference on it yet. i wish that something was hanging it up as it would give a starting point. i hope this answered all of your questions

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
Have patience! If it was together to start with (and it was) something has happened to cause the misalignment now. Grinding is not going to solve your problem and may cause more or ruin the rifle. If all else fails, take your box of parts to a qualified gunsmith and have him put it back together. I once cleaned my brother's Winchester Model 88 (I think) and almost never got it back together. Close, but no go. I finally got a copy of a repair manual and I had an arm that connected the lever to the bolt upside down. Turned it over and suddenly everything fit. It has to be something simple that you are overlooking. Happens to most of us at one time or another. Pictures might help some of the better gun repair people on this site help you. Best wishes and welcome, Jack

·
Super Moderator
16,163 Posts
Pictures are always a good thing to have, post some if you are able. Make them shots clear and lets see the plate in place with a screw or two if you can get it in there. We need left, right and bottom pics of the problem, especially the bottom. imashooter asked: "are you leaving all the screws loose?" I find this to be true, tighten one and you have problems with alignment. Good luck and hope to see some pics. You've tapped into a great resource here at MarlinOwners, I'm sure we can get you going again. Here's a link for guidance, l always recommend it and I use it still today.
http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,26786.0.html
Mr fixit

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
It will go back together. Make sure the mag tube and forearm are off the gun. Then take a rubber mallet and bump the trigger plate in place. Follow the EXACT re-assembly directions found in the reference section and put the trigger plate back on in the proper sequence.

·
Contributing Member
11,599 Posts
bd55036 said:
imashooter, to answer your question, nothing is hanging up. even with everything out of the trigger pate, the trigger, the springs etc, and everything out of the receiver, the loading gate, the carrier, the locking lug, the hammer. with everything out so i can just line up the trigger plate alone on the receiver and screw it in i am able to see that it does not line up, it will be fine with one screw in and the other two will be about a millimeter off from lining up for the screw to go in without extreme amounts of force, which i am not willin to do as i can just strip the threading off the screws or strip the heads themselves. it does no matter which screw is in the other two will be off enough for them to not line up properly. the trigger plate support screw threads look buggered from the factory, as is has two landings and looks stripped and forced at an angle going back towards the rear stock. the amount of tightness on the screws hasnt made a difference on it yet. i wish that something was hanging it up as it would give a starting point. i hope this answered all of your questions
There are only two screws that hold the TP on, one in the side and one in the bottom.

Were the screws real tight when you took it apart, as if it was already bound up?

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
I have worked on a few Marlins that have this same problem, and one of my 444's has the problem as well. I usually just clean up the machine marks and burrs on the inside of the reciever and on the sides of TP. The fit should be snug, but not so much that you cannot get the holes aligned or, rifle back together. It takes a bit of patience to get everything lined up sometimes, so, just take your time and "work with it"...it will all come together.

·
Premium Member
7,659 Posts
Are you leaving the screws loose untill they are all in?

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
I'v had some give me a little trouble.
I always put the trigger plate screw in first, thats the one on the bottom front. Then if the trigger plate support screw is not lined up you can squeeze or seperate the tangs slightly to get it in line. Last I get the hammer screw in the same way, squeezing or spreading the tangs. If the threads on the trigger plate support screw hole are buggered up its probably because the assembler didn't bother getting things lined up & tried to do it with the screw.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thank you for the replies,
to answer some of them, the screws were pretty stiff when i was taking them out, so it could have already been bound, and when i have been putting in back in i will leave the screws loose and tighten them down little by little almost like lug nuts on a tire. I havent taken all the burrs of yet ans there are not many but it shouldnt hurt.i will be running by a gunsmith today and talking options, as well as trying to contact remington to see what they think (probbly wont be much). I will post later today hopefully with good news and what was done to fix it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts