Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to scope my 1895XLR 45/70 along with a Williams FP sight. The scope I am looking at is a Redfield 2-7x33 with a Weaver type base and Warne Quick Disconnect Rings. Can anyone advise me on the best height of rings for this kind of setup? I obviously need the scope to clear the Williams Sight and the height needs to be handy for getting a good sight picture.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I just replyed. Check your message box captionjoe. I use the high rings (model 202L). Check where your scope will sit, lay the rifle down on a table with the scope in position over it. Measure from the base to the bottom of the scope. Check this measurement against the scope ring chart. Here's the web page.
http://www.warnescopemounts.com/scopering_chart.html
I notched the top of my Weaver base to allow clearance for the FP sight, and still use all 4 base screws. I used a hacksaw and smoothed with a file, which took all of 10 minutes.

·
Registered
8,702 Posts
Not sure I understand, but won't the weaver base be in the way of the williams peep also? I mean the base will be on top of the reciever then the williams will sit over the base probably way too high now to be sighted in and then the scope must clear the williams? I don't think you can do a weaver base, williams peep and scope . Do I have that right? I'm probably missing a big part of the picture here.

Now a williams and a forward mounted scout scope will work with a scout base!

·
Registered
8,702 Posts
dogjaw said:
I just replyed. Check your message box captionjoe. I use the high rings (model 202L). Check where your scope will sit, lay the rifle down on a table with the scope in position over it. Measure from the base to the bottom of the scope. Check this measurement against the scope ring chart. Here's the web page.
http://www.warnescopemounts.com/scopering_chart.html
I notched the top of my Weaver base to allow clearance for the FP sight, and still use all 4 base screws. I used a hacksaw and smoothed with a file, which took all of 10 minutes.
Ahh you notched the base! I was wondering how that could work. I sure would like to see pictures of that set up if you could! I am very interested! I'm sure others would like to see what neat ideas members come up with!

·
Registered
592 Posts
lever addict said:
Ahh you notched the base! I was wondering how that could work. I sure would like to see pictures of that set up if you could! I am very interested! I'm sure others would like to see what neat ideas members come up with!
I'll post some pics this afternoon.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks dogjaw for the info. I'm guessing it's going to be a high ring job. I'll post some pics when I am done. I think your mod on the base is the way to go.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Here's a closeup of the notch in the base. The base looks tall, but it's not. The picture is taken from slightly above and if you look close you'll notice that your seeing both near and far sides of the base.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts