Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
I also have a case hardened receiver, octagon barrel that I paid $643 in 2008. Don't have a clue what they are selling for today but it really will depend on the area you're in.

·
Registered
287 Posts
a year ago I passed up a 45 lc JM marked Cowboy at my LGS for 795 and I am kicking myself......go for it

Reactions: bkg1956

·
Banned
2,609 Posts
Pay one million for it so the .357 buyers will feel justified.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I picked my Cowboy Limited 1894 in 45LC w/24in barrel for $1000.00 about a year ago. Ironically, I will be shooting it tomorrow afternoon with a buddy from church . Best I can say is start looking on GB daily until one shows up that is in your $$ range. Best of luck in your search. They are fun.

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
I picked up a Cowboy Limited in 45 Colt about 2 years ago, 20" Octagonal barrel, blued finish, in unfired condition, and paid $850 for it. It is no longer unfired. Used it last year in cowboy action shooting. Remy is absolutely correct--they are great fun to shoot!

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
I don't think I've got more than about 1K into both of mine??, they have FAT chambers!, you need fat boolits and or run them at the top of the scale!

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
About 1.5 years ago 20" good to very good - $800. About a year ago 24" NIB - $875 on GB. Six months ago 20" excellent condition - $600. I wasn't hunting real hard for any of them. The last one was out of the blue and I couldn't turn it down.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
It looks like there are at least 4 JM marked 45 colts on Gunbroker ranging from $800 on up. I wouldn't turn my nose up on a Remington made gun but only if I could hold it in my hands and look it over. I wouldn't buy one off an internet auction.

My JM stamped 357 made around 2001 IIRC was not smooth at all out of the box. Plus the buttstock had a tiny crack at the tang. Marlin sent a new stock but the color was different. I just spread the crack open and drizzled thin CA (super glue) down the crack and have been using it ever since. After taking the gun apart and smoothing everything up it is slick now. And it always shot extremely well. Just because its stamped JM is no guarantee its a perfect gun.

·
Super Moderator
4,352 Posts
Look to spend 1k or more. It depends on what you are looking for. I wanted a CB LTD and paid north of 1K. Good luck on your search.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
It looks like there are at least 4 JM marked 45 colts on Gunbroker ranging from $800 on up. I wouldn't turn my nose up on a Remington made gun but only if I could hold it in my hands and look it over. I wouldn't buy one off an internet auction.

My JM stamped 357 made around 2001 IIRC was not smooth at all out of the box. Plus the buttstock had a tiny crack at the tang. Marlin sent a new stock but the color was different. I just spread the crack open and drizzled thin CA (super glue) down the crack and have been using it ever since. After taking the gun apart and smoothing everything up it is slick now. And it always shot extremely well. Just because its stamped JM is no guarantee its a perfect gun.
You have a way better chance finding a good working rifle with the JM on the barrel, than REM!
I will work only on the JM ones now-The dozen+ I've seen of the Rem's, were be on fixable, and I would not touch'em.
LG

·
Registered
19,756 Posts
A number of birch stocked .45 Colt 1894's were made for the Big 5 stores. No bullseye in the buttstock,but a regular JM rifle otherwise. Every so often they come up on gunbroker.com. About two years ago one was listed with a 'buy it now' price of $650. I called my FFL buddy and told him to look at it,but someone had already snapped it up within the hour. A listing like that won't last long,and the rifle was in excellent shape. It looked to be pretty much unfired with no stock dings. It came with the box and doo-dads.
These days any JM 1894 or 1894S in .45 Colt is listed $850-$1250.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a current production 1894CB in .45 Colt and its every bit as good as any of the mystically stamped JM's and yes, I have more than a couple. I would go to a shop and take a good look at the current offering before I'd shell out an extra 400.00 or so for a barrel stamp. Just my opinion, I'm confident others will differ.

·
Registered
856 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
Reactions: 25/20Marlin
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.