Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:idea: Yep, they said I couldn't get one.They were right.But darn it I don't own new guns.They would spoil my collection. One day a local dealer called me with a problem.It seems as tho he had bought a nice old Marlin 94 rifle that had a few strange changes made to it.It was marked 38-40 but when the called for ammo was shot in it, the case stretched out to 44-40.Now we all know that it would take a fool to shoot 44-40 through a 38-40 chamber. After considering everything we could think of, we determined that it must have been a movie gun that had been bored out to accept reloaded 5 in 1 blank cartridges. New ones woul fit but unless you resized the cases they would not fit. Since he could not sell it on the open market,feeling sorry for him,I offered to take it off his hands for his cost.Nice guy huh??Well to make this shorter,I then screwed the barrel off,sent it to Washington State and had them bore it out for 45 Colt. Best little rifle I have ever had.At the time I was heavy into Marlins so swapped the rifle butt for a carbine butt.Cut the octagon barrel to twenty inches and now am the proud owner of a 1906 made 94 in 45 Colt.Shoots great and really fast. And since it had already been screwed up,have no problem with guilt.Now that is SUCCESS.modoc Oh by the way,the barrel have been chopped off prior to when I got it.Be still my heart. :p m

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Best of all worlds, fixed one that should not be shot, got one that you really wanted, did you restamp the barrel? Sounds like a lot of fun.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep,when the barrel was crowned we filed off the old caliber and added the new one.Hard to tell that it was done.Only time it ever gave trouble was when I changed bullets and seated them out too far. Can't fault the rifle for that dumb thing.It is so fast at cowboy shooting,that I sometimes can't get lined up on the next target in time and miss.I would like to shoot at the moving targets that I see at the big outfits. We are limited in space for such targets as they take plenty of room to set up.Not to mention the right equipment.Well guys I guess this has to end,SOOoo take care and remember,the only safety that is fool proof is between your ears.modoc

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep,when the barrel was crowned we filed off the old caliber and added the new one.Hard to tell that it was done.Only time it ever gave trouble was when I changed bullets and seated them out too far. Can't fault the rifle for that dumb thing.It is so fast at cowboy shooting,that I sometimes can't get lined up on the next target in time and miss.I would like to shoot at the moving targets that I see at the big outfits. We are limited in space for such targets as they take plenty of room to set up.Not to mention the right equipment.Well guys I guess this has to end,SOOoo take care and remember,the only safety that is important is the one between your ears.modoc

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
When I bought my 1894 in 45 LC I decided to get a pistol to match so found a Colt SSA in 45 LC. Great combo to carry during hunting season.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Was at the local gunshow this past weekend and I saw a Marlin Model 1889 in 45 Colt caliber. Someone had it rebored and it looked like a good job and was so marked. I did not ask the price as the seller was "busy". Anyways in all my years of looking at Marlin levers that is the first one I have seen outside of the modern ones of course. Parley.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts