Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would appreciate a recomendation for a good Marlin gunsmith where I can send my 1894c in for repairs.

Thanks...

·
Registered
567 Posts
Lucky:

per our phone conversation, here is the info for Longhunter (Jim Finch)

Long Hunter Shooting
3403 Southwest 6th Ave.
Amarillo, TX 79106

Phone: 806/342-0000
fax: 806/342-0007

Hope this helps alittle.

..........Widder

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I need a carrier installed....I believe Brownells sent me an incorrect (possibly a 44 mag model) carrier and since my 1894c was jamming as described by other owners on this site, I felt installing a new carrier would help. I had this one on backorder for awhile....and as far as I can tell, this is the only design that Brownells offers. If this is the wrong part, I should be able to find out from Brownells on Monday, but if the new carrier design is incompatable with my 1981 Marlin, I will just have to re-install the old carrier and live with the rifle as a potential single shot. I wanted to contact a Marlin expert gunsmith and go over my options and part availability problems....I wouldn't mind sending it to anyone who could make the gun shoot correctly.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Contact David at Clements Custom Guns.

He did the 45 Colt conversion on my 44 Mag 1894. When the work was done he emailed me to tell me the swap went easy but, he could only get one bullet to feed in it so, he "worked over the carrier". He said "now it'll feed anything." I had no clue as I'd never fired the thing since I bought it at a gun show the month before I sent it in.

I don't know what exactly working over the carrier involves (maybe magic) but, he wasn't kidding. Its ate every thing I've fed it. Round Nose reloads that were stretched a tad too long, SWCs, even the aluminum cased CCI Blazer JHPs. It doesn't matter how fast or slow I cycle it, it eats all. I've tried to get it to not feed, I've failed.

The rifle just flat runs like a dream and for what he charged for all the work was more than reasonable. According to his website he charges $100 for an Action job on Marlin lever action. I've seen other places charge allot more. Any work I need done from now on, Clements is where I'm getting it done.

Based on what what he did for mine, I'd say he can not only get it to shoot correctly, it'll probably be better than that. Probably with your original carrier too.;D

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ziptar; My 1894c is at David Clements shop...I'll make another post when I get the rifle back in about a month. I believe I'll be as satisfied as you were with his work on your 45 LC.

Popopine and Widowmaker...thanks for your advice but I went with the closest gunsmith I could find.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Lucky1,
Your rifle is in good hands.

Let me know how it goes, mine was there for a month as well but, the patience paid off. ;D

·
Registered
567 Posts
Lucky1: good choice.

whenever possible, always support your local gunsmith. These guys are great to have close by.

Best regards

..........Widder

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Widowmaker; I double checked the Brownells part number....they did send me what the describe as the Model 1894c in 357 mag carrier. If was not blued as advertised, and although it fit in the receiver and allowed the gun to cycle with no cartridges, it jammed on every round...not letting any 357 158 JSP's feed into the chamber. I left the Brownells carrier with the gunsmith in case he could make it work (it was the new, button/pinned style). The gunsmith said he thought the new style was made over the original type in my 1981 model as a cost cutting measure to cut down on machining and blueing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts