Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may grill some dove this evening. I have never done it myself. Once I eat some that where grilled with bacon wrapped around them and they were fantastic. I asked the cook his recipe and was told he used White Worcestershire sauce as a marinade. I couldn't find any so I guess he made it up as a joke.

·
Registered
20,272 Posts
soak (marinate) dove breast in jalopeno pepper juice for a couple of hours (from a gallon can of peppers) then place a piece of onion & bell pepper on top of the breast. wrap it all in bacon. stick a toothpick through the breast to hold bacon in place. cook with breast side up. not on top of the flame or the bacon fat will catch fire. make sure grill is hot like 350-375 degrees or so. the pepper juice i get is la-costena (not very hot) you want it spicier, marinate longer! :eating:

·
Premium Member
8,169 Posts
Heat a skillet of olive oil until a drop of water dances. Add chopped onions and apple slices to the oil after it's hot enough, and caramelize the onions and apples together. When the onions just start to look burned, get the onions and apples out of the oil. Then sear the dove breasts in this oil - - just enough to sear the meat. Pull the dove breasts out of the oil, and set aside until you want to wrap them in the bacon and grill 'em up.

Same thing works well for fricasseed squirrel, except my G'Ma would take the squirrel meat, bread it, then fry it through until done in the same oil that's been flavored with onions and apple.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Do the bacon wrap thing, grill till only medium. Enjoy, best with whiskey and water. If you cook the breast past medium it'll be tough and not very good. Some pink is way better than gray. Steve

Reactions: unclesarge58

·
Registered
839 Posts
I marinate mine in the good seasonings plain Italian dressing, the packet stuff with the special bottle, over night. Wrap in bacon with a quarter of a whole pickled jalapeño between breast and bacon. Grill on low heat until barely pink and dig in.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not wild about peppers they give me indigestion. However I googled many recipes today and 4 out of 5 said bacon and jalapeno peppers. I marinated my dove in half teriyaki sauce water and soy sauce equal parts for 4 hrs. I then wrapped them in bacon. My wife didn't complain she ate 8 of the 12 I cooked, still may try the jalapeno recipes. I like them fried. Mine turned out good but I watched then carefully so as to not over cook them. A over cooked goose or duck is worthless also.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts