Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to buy a 35 Remington. I've priced the gun new in my area and they quote me anywhere between $360 to $390 brand new.

Is there any reason why I should not buy a new gun other than the money saved on a used one. Or are the older guns of higher quality. Then again with modern CNC machining, are the newer guns actually better?

Since the dealers don't have one in stock, it will take about 1 week to get.
(missed a brand new used gun some chap won in a raffle and traded it by 1 day. The dealer just sold it yesterday for $260! Damn day late and a dollar short again!!!!)

Do you guys know were I could get a better price via the internet/mail?

Also I'm generally leery of buying used things on the net. However after reading these posts I have to say I'd trust that you guys would steer me towards a good solid gun.

Do you know were a good used one is at or do any of you have one for sale?

Also how does this mail thing work? I assume especially if out of state the gun would have to be sent to a FFL. If so how much is a reasonable charge for the FFL to render this service?

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
No reason that I can think of not to buy a new one.

G

·
Yeah the .35 Rem is a great whitetail round. The only reason not to buy a new one is to find a good used one for a lot less money.

I have bought several over the last few years for $200 per. Most are excellent mechanically with some hunting wear and one was basically new. I have found a 'G' prefix SC in .35 and a 'K' prefix SC in .32 Spcl. Seems everyone is looking for the latest short magnum bolt action and have given up on the some of the best woods rifles ever made. Good luck in your search. TnTnTn

·
Administrator
23,793 Posts
Several, #1 in the past there were models that you can't buy today.
#2 No CBS on the older firearms.
#3 The older models have a second setting for the mainspring
to lighten trigger pull.
#4 You could actually come across a 336A in a 35 and have the
24" bbl and half magazine.
Nothing wrong with a new one, just there are a few options out there if you are willing to search for a used one. On the plus side machines are a not a lot better today but the testing and quality control equiptment are like comparing the first wheel to a modern space shuttle.

·
Registered
193 Posts
flyingfool said:
Do you guys know were I could get a better price via the internet/mail?

Also how does this mail thing work? ...how much is a reasonable charge for the FFL to render this service?
You can get a LOT better deal than $360-390 on a 336 in .35 Rem. First commit to being patient. It took me three weeks of looking on the internet (several times a week), but I finally found a 1969 (or is it 1965?) 336SC in .35 Rem with a Weaver K4 scope for only $260 (delivered). Bluing, action, and wood all in great shape....and this was not an exceptional deal. I just picked this particular rifle because it already had a scope mounted.

I checked GunsAmerica.com, GunBroker.com, AuctionArms.com, the MarlinTalk (now Marlin Owners) board, the Shooters Forum board, the Accurate Reloading board, and the 24hr Campfire board for classifieds. Be patient, keep looking, and ye shall find.

FFL transfer fees vary by state and the number of shops competing for business, but here in TX, I refuse to pay more than $25. Also don't forget to factor in $20-25 for shipping. So, take the internet or msg board sale price, add $50, and determine whether that's a good deal to you. Keep looking, and you can easily buy a 336 in great condition for less than $300 delivered.

Keep asking questions!

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Swaney said, "#3 The older models have a second setting for the mainspring to lighten trigger pull. "

If you don't mind, enlighten me please. How old are the models with this feature? How is this setting changed, should the rifle I have fall in that category?
Paul B.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Does anybody know when they started putting the checkering on the grip and forearm?

When did they start to put the cross-bolt safety on?

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
What the older guns had was another notch to hold the mainspring retainer, which moved it rearward, causing a lighter hammer, not a lighter trigger. There may cause a slightly lighter trigger, but there is also the chance that the hammer wont strike the primer hard enough for consistent ignition. The best way to lighten the trigger on a Marlin 336 is to lighten the trigger return spring. This can be done with a lighter spring, or working the existing spring down.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I paid $360 for my 35. Just bought it about a month ago. Added a reciever sight and the thing almost shoots as tight as my 308, almost. Its a real fun gun to play with. We were hitting pop cans at 100 yards fairly easy. The 308 isn't retired yet, deer still show up at 300 yards! ANyway I would vote for new, the older rifles in 35 i looked at were pretty beat up for the 250 they wanted. Good luck.

G

·
Have one of the 336D's and a 1952 336SC ,both in 35 REM ! And I think they are both great . As a general rule you shouldn't have a problem with old or new . But then again it's like anything else occasionally a bad one gets out !!!

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
45LC-Man,

E-mail sent from Greybeards

Dave

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
I just purchased one at about 90% which came with a scope, sling and cartridge holder. While picking it up I started talking to a guy who bought one for $229 in mint condition circa 1971..There out there if you look :!: My only thinking is if this is going to be your primary gun, it maybe worth the extra $100 or so for a NIB.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yep. Bought a NIB on Sunday. By the serial number it appears to have been built in 2003. Apparently it has been in Gander Mountains system since manf.

The box looked a little worse for wear but the contents were 100%.

Can't wait to shoot it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts