Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Want your opinion on a Guitar I'm building....

3K views 34 replies 18 participants last post by  lever addict 
#1 ·
Bought an electric guitar kit and thought I would just do a finish like I would do on my gun stocks. I put the first coat of stain and it looked like this:

After sanding, I ended up with a cool "zebra wood" look:

I'm kind of leaning towards keeping the zebra wood look what do you guys think?

Keith

See less See more
#22 ·
Aaaayup! Me too! That's be a special git-fiddle fer sure!

#3 ·
Here's another picture after a little more color.

#7 ·
I think it will look fine with a few good coats of Lacquer or Varnish.................

The Nuge?..................Nah!..Bronco Archer lives in TEXAS!.................I'd get Billy Gibbons (ZZ TOP) or Willie to sign it..but that's just me............

Tom............:flute:

#13 · (Edited)
The wood is called Paulownia or Empress wood. It is extremely light weight but has a similar grain to Ash. I didn't buy it because of the wood but was nicely surprised when I saw all the character it had. I just put a black walnut stain on it and sanded to 320 so far. A bunch of Tru-oil is coming next and we'll see what happens.

Keith

Reactions: gunscrewguy
#14 ·
The shine is coming..... stay tuned.

#11 · (Edited)
I like it after sanding.
Hit it again with some diluted aniline die or red stain for a two tone effect. Or top coat it with a tinted lacquer for a similar effect.

I started with a dye and used different colors of powdered pigment at various stages of this rubbed oil finish.

Attachments

#15 ·
Well.... the Tru-oil pick up a lot of the color and darkened the white wood significantly so... I decided not to fight with it, added a bit of shading and another heavy coat of tru-oil.

#19 ·
One more coat before bedtime....

Reactions: Stu925 and P-bass
#21 ·
Haven't decided yet.... maybe tortoise shell? Any recommendations?

Keith

Reactions: unclesarge58
#25 ·
It's perfect. I wouldn't change a thing. I love the burst (shading) effect.

How about a wood pickguard? Cut it from some luaun underlayment and give it a similar finish with an added tough clear coat. Cheap as the stuff is, you can make a few in case it gets scratched.

Reactions: Bronco Archer
#27 ·
10 coats in, only a couple more to go on top and then I need to start the back and sides.

Reactions: Stu925
#28 ·
I'm now a bunch of coats into it and I think I just have one coat left with a polish job. I'll start assembling the guitar by next weekend for sure.

Keith

Reactions: Stu925 and Golphin
#30 ·
I finished it just like I have my gun stocks. I'm hoping it plays as good as my rifles shoot.

Keith

#34 ·
It officially a guitar now. I guess I need to get an amplifier.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.