Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bullets where designed with a gas check shank to optimize performance for big game hunting. I wanted my bullet designs to match jacketed bullet performance. Velocity applied by high chamber pressures requires a gas check for the bullet to survive the journey down and out the barrel.

Also wanting to respond to my customer's requests for plain base versions of these bullets, I considered several options. Simply having Lee Precision cut the same bullet with the plain base doubled inventory costs. I would rather offer other molds than two versions of the same design. I also received similar requests from customers for a split of the gas check shank with plain base cavities. Lee Precision will not cut molds in this configuration.

The best solution I could come up with was to tool up a precision drill press with quality decimal reamers to remove the gas check shank. My initial testing provided satisfactory results so I am now able to offer a mold that is configured with:
  • all the cavities having the gas check shank
  • all the cavities plain based
  • the cavities split half and half, gas check shank/plain base.

Modifing the mold with the plain base incurrs an additional fee at checkout. I have also made provisions to provide the same work on any mold you have purchase from my store. Please see Custom Services:plain Base a Mold.

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
Thanks Dog,

Been waiting on this, Calling my Buds tomorrow to tellem to come and git them 45-70s!

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
Very clever, and looks good!

·
Registered
84 Posts
The 3x3 mould just showed up in the mail! I have one small problem though...all my brass is loaded up right now so I gotta go hit the range real quick and burn some of these off so I can start playing with a *real boolit*!

BRB ~ Jech

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
Those bullets with the GC would be great for use in making paper patched bullets without the gas check installed for seating the bullet without tearing the paper.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts