Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I jump into a new venture I like to read as much as I can about the subject so I'm wondering if y'all could steer me towards some current reloading how to books, websites, etc so I can immerse my brain in the subject and boldly go where Ive never gone before.

I'd like to reload rifle and pistol cartridges.

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
2 Come to Mind Right Away: Get each of the Newest Versions of the Lee & Lyman Reloading Manuals that you can Find. As for On Line Sources: Just Look Here: Reloading or Here: http://www.handloads.com/
After that I'd suggest The Lyman Cast Boolit Manual & Perhaps a Hodgdon Manual.
Other than that you can Download Most of the Powder Manufacturers Load Data from the Internet 4 Free!
This will get you Started & after you get More Involved, Buy as Many of the Bullet Manufacturer's Load Manuals as you may Need.
Good Luck & Have Fun.
UncleSarge58

Reactions: Ray Newman

·
Premium Member
9,847 Posts
I really enjoyed the Lee Reloading book -- it has a lot of good info for newbies and experienced reloaders as well! Of course, it talks a lot about Lee equipment, but since I use a LOT of that company's equipment, that didn't bother me a bit! Enjoy the adventure! John

Reactions: mrguvna

·
Registered
395 Posts
well not sure if your an NRA member(you should be) BUT the NRA has classes all over where they teach folks to reload
they are NOT free, but you can learn a lot going to one and be good and safe in the process
also if you live by any Cabela's store's they too so seminars on reloading a good boost to get you rolling
other wise MOST reloading companys both sell books and videos on how to
having a few good reloading manuals is never a bad idea, some what like can never have too much info
go slow, read up make sure you know what your doing and be safe
an under charged round can be even more dangerous than one with too much powder(neither one is good) but some folks some times to think less means less dangerous and thats not true

·
Registered
17,008 Posts
Find a copy of "The ABC's of Reloading" by the late Dean Grennell. It's a must-have for all reloaders. I still refer to mine periodically,and I've been reloading for 41 years. It's a very entertaining and informative book. It's been updated and reprinted over the years,you should be able to order a copy online.

Rob

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
The ABC book and the Lyman cast book (have several) I will agree with.

Proprietary loading books tend to confuse new folks on want to buy. I like the all-in-one per caliber books. They dont show any company favorites, and have everything for a caliber.
I own one for each caliber I reload for.

What I would suggest is to find a local reloader buddy or mentor. Ever gun range or club has a bulletin board for such things

In the last few years Ive helped piles of patriots on their way to self assurance

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's cool pard.

I have a buddy that reloads mainly .45 for his hoard of 1911's.

I've been meaning to spend some time in his dungeon.

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
When it comes to reloading manuals and references, get as many of them as you can afford... Check out some of the gunshows and pick up an assortment of older, used manuals as well. They all have tid-bits of info, and having more manuals means having more data to cross-reference. I don't really have a favorite, per se, but you can't go wrong with the suggestions offered so far.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
My go-to book is the Lyman 49th Edition. Also, all the powder makers offer load formulas online.
Welcome to the world of reloading!
GH1:)

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Lyman Reloading 49th edition..

The "The ABC's of Reloading" ! That title might not be completely correct, but it's something Very similar...?
I'm new to the hobby and it's a Great way to spend more time in the shooting sport. You won't really save any money, BUT, you Will be able to shoot more for the money spent!!! I almost enjoy rolling my own as much as shooting them, "Almost"!?!! :biggrin:

Good Luck
BloodGroove4570

1 - 11 of 11 Posts