Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have read the forum on and off for a few years. My wife prefers bolt action so we recently bought her a Ruger American Rimfire in .22LR. We also got her a Parker Crossbow to use in archery season here in Virginia. We just joined a hunting club as neither of us have hunted before and they seemed like a good group of guys willing to show us the ropes. I just love the look and style of lever guns. Plus I happen to shoot rifle lefty (along with pool cues, but everything else is righty) so the more ambi friendly nature of lever guns is appealing to me. Our hunt club properly is heavily wooded with one area of power line that has good line of sight. I really want an 1894C to go with my S&W 686. We are going to see how much hunting we do this year with the crossbow before we buy too much more stuff though. I think I found a resource on this site before that has the years of production of different Marlin rifles. Where is that again?

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
Welcome aboard! Well, you should get one, but a warning... there's no going back and you'll want more, ha! I like all kinds of rifles, lever, bolt, semi-auto, etc.; all have a place and enjoy using them, but there is something special about lever guns to me. Maybe it's the traditional old west angle, the feel and sound, who knows... :biggrin:
Enjoy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks SgtDog.

AZsparrow I know what you are talking about from other hobbies. Part of me thinks I should just get a bolt action .308 because you can get factory ammo for pretty much any North American game and have one rifle for pretty much all big game hunting desires. But I also know that the 1894C will be really good for small game and coyote control. So we'll see how it all plays out.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Welcome Cooper, from the banks of the Mighty Mis'sipi! Go ahead, get the 1894. You'll never be sorry. I've had a lever since 1976. Never have I been sorry I had it or even thought of sellin it. And now I have 2 more to play with.

Good Huntin'
Mop

·
Premium Member
9,847 Posts
Welcome from Goldthwaite, TX! Glad you're here! John

·
Registered
483 Posts
You'd be able to find a good deal on a used jm 30-30. I'd start there. Great first lever caliber. The 1894 is a great option too. You'll end up with several I'm assuming. I'd get a 22 henry while you're at it (or a marlin if you can find an affordable one).

·
Registered
594 Posts
Hello and Welcome Cooper to Marlinowners Forum, if It's Lever guns then this is the place.
From Louisiana

Team 45-70 #1214
John

·
Registered
8,306 Posts
Welcome from the Republic of Texas...

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Enjoy the forum........................

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
Welcome CooperD0G from the Allegheny Mountains of Central PA! A hardy welcome to your lovely wife too!

If you read this site for any length of time I'd guess you already know that you should avoid the "New" Remington made Marlin rifles. Look for a used JM stamped Marlin. I see that there was at least one other Post in this thread recommending a used Marlin too. A 30-30 caliber was recommended and that's a good first lever gun. Good advice. The 30-30 is a common caliber and you stand a better chance of finding a selection of that ammo than many other calibers. Its not terribly expense to shoot, and makes a good deer gun.

I have purchased two used Marlin lever action rifles and they are fun to shoot. It can be an addicting hobby. But generally, rifles don't lose value especially if you take care of them. They won't be manufacturing any genuine John Marlin stamped rifles any time soon!

Cheers!

Mike T.

Reactions: Survivor99

·
Premium Member
15,449 Posts
Welcome from Texas

·
Registered
9,956 Posts
Coop, Welcome from Upstate NY. Be careful, these leverguns are addicting . I like the looks and nostalgia, and now I'm up to 11. :vollkommenauf:

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
Not any place better for Lever guns, Proceed with Caution(here that is) and enjoy.

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
Hello and welcome to Marlinowners from Louisiana!!!!

·
Premium Member
17,018 Posts
Hey Cooper,

Welcome to MO.

Later, Mark

·
Premium Member
6,516 Posts
Hello and welcome to Marlinowners from Pennsylvania!

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Welcome to Marlin Owners from a little piece of Heaven in Sullivan County, the Gem of the Endless Mountains of Pennsylvania.

Coyote222

1 - 20 of 36 Posts