Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to be in the mood and looking for a model 1893 30-30 "B"designation with a full mag round or oct. barrel, will consider other 93 rifles as well in 30-30............. Thank you

·
Registered
579 Posts
For us dummies, what is a "B"? grade or serial number? moodyholler

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry.......... B designation is for black powder only, barrel was made with softer steel than the-- special smokeless steel--

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
NB,
"B" model 1893's were not made in .30-30, only .32-40 and .38-55.
Moodyholler,
The grade B model 1893's were made after the advent of smokeless powders, and the barrels were actually marked, "For Black Powder" in the same spot that Special Smokeless Steel barrels were marked. Most of these B grade guns are well used, and often have rough or bare bores, due to two things. First the black powder, and second, the soft steel went away, with the misuse of jacketed bullets.
I can't remember how many years I looked to find a nice B grade 1893, but it was a lot! Saw a few that were bare, or had bad bores, but these guns were not made in large quantities, so they're tough to find in good shape.

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
Now that you guys have brought up the subject - The early 1893's, which weren't marked "stainless" or "black powder" - were they all smokeless grade bbls or black powder? I always assumed they were smokeless, but somehow it never made sense they would "backdate" a design and use softer steel later on in production...

Shum8

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
None of them were marked "stainless", just "Special Smokeless Steel" or "For Black Powder" The unmarked barrels are considered black powder barrels, and there was no reason to mark them in any way at that time, as there wasn't a choice.
The only reason I saw that Marlin came out with the grade B guns, was to use up the leftover soft BP barrels, and do it the right way, by letting customers know what they were getting, and sell them at a reduced price. If memory serves me, I believe they were about $1-$2 less than a standard barreled gun.

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
Why I typed "stainless", I have no idea - for some reason I was thinking smokeless and typed stainless........I need a vacation.

Shum8

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MM....
thank you for the info, as my ignorance shows I still have a lot to learn about marlins.
I am still looking for a 93, 30-30 in good shape oct. barrel. NB

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Marlin man.....When did marlin stop using the unmarked barrels in their rifles I have a 94 and a 93 with unmarked barrels. also what years did they start to produce the special smokeless steel barrels

·
Registered
267 Posts
I noticed that there were two .32-40's on guns america a short while ago
seems like they were in the 850-950 range...

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
950! :shock: Cabelas in Sidney, Nebr recently had a nice 93 SRC for 750, and I turned my nose up at it! They usually have some in stock. SW

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
NB,
The SSS rollstamp started around the turn of the last century, but the change wasn't entirely clear, due to Marlin's habit of discovering old parts, and putting them to use. I've seen a number of '93 and '94 tang markings, without the SSS rollstamp on the barrel. It muddies up the water, and really doesn't allow a definite cutoff.
The only thing we know for sure, is guns made before that date are blak powder, as are grade B guns, and guns with the SSS rollstamp are smokeless. The guns in the few years of pre and post WWI era that are unmarked, are a mystery to us. I'd treat them as BP barrels myself.

·
Registered
267 Posts
NebrHogger said:
950! :shock: Cabelas in Sidney, Nebr recently had a nice 93 SRC for 750, and I turned my nose up at it! They usually have some in stock. SW
Well I agree with you NebrHogger.... Those were the last ones that I saw for sale and I don't even remember there condition. Just another example of how sometimes the market is getting a bit out of hand. You probably know better than I the condition of some of the b guns bores, yuck! But people figure they have a .32-40 and walla! Price gets ridiculous. Kinda like the shows you guys have been discussin' down right dasterdly.... :(

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
I bought my 1893 grade B, in .38-55 at the Denver show about 5-6 years ago. The seller took $750 for it, and it's in 90%, with a perfect bore, and a Lyman tang sight. At the time I thought it was a decent price, but not a steal. Since then I've seen a lot of beaters go for much more money, so it's looking better every day!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This is new to me, because I have a 94 with only the roll stamp on the barrel and marlin model 94 on the tang.... no marlin saftey on the receiver

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This is new to me, because I have a 94 with only the roll stamp on the barrel and marlin model 94 on the tang.... no marlin saftey on the receiver

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
If your '94 has the Hepburn sight holes on top of the receiver, then it wont have "Marlin Safety" rollstamped on top. Not enough room for both, so they dropped it when they added the two sight holes.

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Thanks cowboykell! Forgot the 1894's and '94 didn't have the SSS rollstamp.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts