Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always loved the looks of the PPK/s. And they fit my hand perfectly, which is something few autoloaders do.

I had one many years ago that would jam, literally, every 6th or 7th round. I sold it off and have avoided them ever since.

At a LGS today, i decided to handle one. Still looked beautiful, still fit my hand perfectly, and pointed like my index finger.

But the double action trigger had to be 20lbs. Broke clean, but at 20lbs, who cares.

I am sure liighter aprings can be had, but how light can you go before creating ignition issues?

Is there any hope for these things, or are they eye candy?

Reactions: navajo

·
Registered
525 Posts
They're always gonna be eye candy they just look cool. Once at a gun show guy had a bunch with super smooth and light trigger pulls..were they reliable..heck if I know. My gunsmith said there wasn't a lot you could do with them due to the design. I don't know the answer I just live with the heavy DA pull on mine. Mark.

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
Nick, I've had a US-made Walther PPK for longer than I can recall. I had it worked over by a local gunsmith who was able to get the DA pull down to right around 12 lbs and the SA to just over 4 lb. The DA pull feels like less as it is very smooth. The pistol is very reliable with the ammo I used to feed it...primarily Winchester Silvertips (yes...it's been a long time since I carried it...it's only a .380).

Although it's not possible to reduce the trigger pull much less than this, do to the geometry of these compact pistols, keep in mind that a smooth 12 lb pull is not difficult to control and only comes into play on the first shot. Each subsequent shot is then single action. With a solidly mounted barrel, the PPK's are generally quite accurate.

In today's market it may be nearly obsolete as .380 pocket pistols go, being far heavier than newer designs, but it is a true classic in every sense of the term and no handgun collection is complete without one.

"Bond...NJ Bond...and I take my cioffi shaken, not stirred."

Roe

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
I have owned two, still have one, and I have never had a feeding or function problem with either one. That first double action trigger pull is a bit brisk but it is still shootable. My wife carried mine for a while and she had no problem shooting it.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I had an Interarms PPK/S that I bought new in 1987 and sold about 2 years ago.It's a cool pistol but the hammer bite from it would leave my hand bleeding every time I shot it, which wasn't a lot. If you want the pistol for the cool factor then that's great, but if you want a shooter get one of the new small 9mm's.

Also avoid any PPK made by S&W,I have read nothing but bad reviews about them. Also to add I sold my PPK/S and a Beretta 22 pistol and bought a CZ 75b and don't regret selling them.

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts
Bond James Bond. The reason they are still popular.
Many better firearms and lower price points than these.
I shot a few of my friends back in the day and I still would not buy one.

·
Super Moderator
6,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah...I do remember leaving the range with cuts all over my hands as well.

·
Super Moderator
12,050 Posts
I've been eye-balling teh new PPQ.

Reactions: njcioffi

·
Super Moderator
6,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jon, do I need to organize a plastic gun intervention? :flute:

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
It is seldom "hammer bite" that will get your attention with the PPK. However, if you happen to grip the gun a bit to high, the slide will carve a nice set of what appear to be crimson railroad tracks across the web of your hand. Combine that with the somewhat snappy recoil for a mere .380, due to it's simple blowback operation...what could be more endearing.

Roe

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts
Remind me not to make friends with MidBigWEst. :biggrin:
Why not I will let you shoot mine?
I am a bigger guy with bigger hands and do not see the fuss over these other than the Bond thingy.
The funny thing is that is when they became popular again was when they started to make more Bond movies in the 90's.
I can buy a glock 42 a few hundred rounds and still not pay what these things are selling for.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
The rear of the slide on my PPKs was very sharp when I bought it new. After several bloody shooting sessions, I realized (dah) that I needed to dehorn that baby. Being stainless, it was easy to smooth out and radius the sharp edges on the underside of the slide that traveled over the web of my thumb & trigger finger. A little stoning and fine sandpapering on that sharp edge and problem solved. The best part is that it can't be seen or noticed if you work carefully. PPKs shooters need not suffer.

Now, letting the web of your thumb slip over the beaver tail under the hammer is an entirely different story!

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I have a WWII era Wather PP in .32 apc...not sure how many pounds of pull the trigger requires but it's a bit more than any of my Glocks...it's a neat pistol and would make a decent CCW except for the fact that it will only feed ball ammo reliably,...ammo made for defensive purposes will invariable malfunction,...otherwise with ball ammo it will run like a sewing machine. If I were to take a notion to carry something smaller that either of my S&W .38 snubbies, or my Glock 27, I would probably go with a Glock 36 or a Glock 42...a co-worker recently purchased a G-42, it's a neat little pistol.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
The .380 is an anemic .38 Special that throws the brass in the grass where you can't find it.
It isn't to expensive to feed, as most of the time you can't find any ammo, or the stuff you can find doesn't work in your gun.
Accuracy is mediocre.

Comon assessments from the internet.

Some PPK's, produced under license buy a number of companies, were pretty shabby for fit and workmanship. The better quality guns are actually quite reliable, and as accurate as a 2" barrel .38. The shooter is as often as not the limiting factor. The design is ancient by most standards, and trigger pull is usually heavy. The same design is also very simple to maintain. If you can't get a PPK apart, you are too stupid to own a gun of any kind.

All in all, they look cool. They also feel nice in hand.

If you want a .380 for personal defense, buy a SIG P229.

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
They have that panache, but after I saw Dr. NO again recently, I realized Bond was pretty much ordered to give up his Beretta and take the PPk.
It's the even weaker sister, the Mauser HSc , that turns my head.

·
Super Moderator
12,050 Posts
Why not I will let you shoot mine?
I am a bigger guy with bigger hands and do not see the fuss over these other than the Bond thingy.
The funny thing is that is when they became popular again was when they started to make more Bond movies in the 90's.
I can buy a glock 42 a few hundred rounds and still not pay what these things are selling for.
It was a joke son...
There's an old joke about punctuation about a Koala Bear goes into a bar, orders a salad then shoots up the place. The bartender asks him "why'd you do that?" The Koala tosses a card on the bar and walks out - "Koalas: eats shoots and leaves."
Your post was:
I shot a few of my friends back in the day and I still would not buy one.

Which reads like you shot your friends - not their guns as was your intent. :)

·
Super Moderator
12,050 Posts
It is seldom "hammer bite" that will get your attention with the PPK. However, if you happen to grip the gun a bit to high, the slide will carve a nice set of what appear to be crimson railroad tracks across the web of your hand. Combine that with the somewhat snappy recoil for a mere .380, due to it's simple blowback operation...what could be more endearing.
Roe
Y'know I hear a lot of folks talking about blow-back pistols but I honestly don't find anything objectionable about my Makarov except it puts the brass into orbit. Last time I shot it was out where njcioffi worked at the time and we were finding some of the brass dang near 50 feet away.
I'm assuming that other pistols with this design aren't so well behaved...

·
Premium Member
1,497 Posts
Oh, that one is easy to answer. The folks who grew up watching Bond in the 60's and 70's as teenagers are now established adults who can actually AFFORD the overpriced little monsters they lusted over.

I've only had limited experience with the PPK and PPK/s which proved to me that between hammerbite and Mark Spitz like webbing between the fingers leading to slide cuts, that these were NOT the pistols for me.

I successfully played with the similar sized Makarov and larger CZ-82 which are both far better platforms for 380 or 9Mak bullet launching platforms.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts