Marlin Firearms Forum banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bought my first Marlin model 60 in 1976 at KMart I believe it was just under $40. No Walmart in our area at the time. Gibsons was the big retail chain in the area. Furrs grocery stores carried a hugh selection of reloading supplies, when they quit it seems they didn't last long.

·
Registered
19 Posts
While I was a LEO in the late 70's, we received a fire alarm at a K-Mart around midnight - because they were closed (back then every store closed at night - even 7-Eleven), both the PD and FD responded. During a building check, a fire Lt. and I saw that they had Marlin Model 1894 .44 magnum lever-action carbines (some plain and some with nicely checkered stocks) on-sale for around $70.00 each...both of us were keen on buying one (or more), so in the morning (I got off at 6am and he at 7am) we both stayed up and went there when the store opened. I was earning less than $8.00/hr, so could only afford to buy two (one of each) - the Lt. managed to snag four.

I don't know if he still has them (probably does, since he's collected over over 400 long guns/shotguns and more than than in handguns), but I still have the nicely checkered one - the plain-stocked version I sold earlier this year for $900.00. :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Walmart no open in 60s
Kmart most likely
Walmart opened their first store in 1962 down in Arkansas. We didn't have them until the mid 70's here in Central Illinois.
When AK Gov Bill Clinton placed his thug wife on the Wally BOD using ganster tactics is when Wall-Mart became China Mart. Then Bill had lots of money from the CCP to run for President. But that's thread drift and old news. I still shop at Walmart.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi folks.. I havent been on for a loooog time. Been battleing lkukimia and other things goin on, good now, remission. Wanted to just add my pop bought me my first centerfire marlin 336c from kmart as a birthday gift. I didnt know why we went there but shortly when we walked up to the gun counter i knew!!! Still have the rifle and original box, paperwork and hang tag. 93.00 and 79 cents. Will NEVER get rid of it. That was in April, 1970. Good memories. Lost my dad all to soon from heart attack. He was only 61.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I bought my 336 in 1977 or 1978 for $92 on sale at Kmart. They had your choice of 30/30 or 35 Remington. I bought the 30/30. Still have it.
I remember going into Grants in the ‘60s and seeing cardboard barrels full of surplus rifles for $13 each. No idea what they were.
When Grants went out of business in the mid ‘70s they were selling Win 94s for $60.
Gibson’s used to put Clerke revolvers on sale about every other week for $13, your choice of .22 or .32.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Bought my first Marlin model 60 in 1976 at KMart I believe it was just under $40. No Walmart in our area at the time. Gibsons was the big retail chain in the area. Furrs grocery stores carried a hugh selection of reloading supplies, when they quit it seems they didn't last long.
Yep, I got one of those at K-Mart around that same time. $39.97 and it came with a K-Mart brand 4X .22 scope! According to their company history, Sam opened his first Walmart store in Arkansas back in 1962. Think it stated 24 stores by the late 60's. In any case, I don't remember seeing any of their stores near me till the 1980's when they exploded in growth, rocketing past Sears and K-Mart in sales.

·
Registered
200 Posts
In the 60's here we had Western auto, Holiday gas stations, Monkey Wards, Sears, Gambles coast to coast & any feed farm store. All of em sold guns of every kind. 30-30's from the weekly specials were $39.99. Bolt actions weren't that popular yet and most would buy military surplus, for <29$.

·
Super Moderator
6,076 Posts
I haven't personally gone into walmarts in the last 6 years to buy something I think I may need. I've been in with my wife a few times when she felt like she absolutely had to go get something at midnight, but that pretty much it. I used to buy a lot of my factory ammo from them (pre 2011 when I started re-loading), but I dropped them like a rock during the "zero shortage" when I found out they were getting several pallets of ammo delivered every 3-4 days at 5:30-6:00 a.m., but they allowed "customers" to go out on the dock and claim what they wanted (as it came off the truck) before going inside to pay for it .... it was ALL sold/claimed before it even hit the shelves in the store. The head of the sporting goods department was (I did say "was") an old friend from the mid 70's, so he would call me the day before the deliveries to let me in of the deal. Some of those jerks were buying 1/2 to a whole pallet at a time ... and the stinking store (or sporting goods manager) was allowing it.

That had a whole lot to do with me finally deciding to take up re-loading. Never been sorry for that decision, and have never bought another factory centerfire pistol or rifle round since. Wallyworld (chinamart) can fold and close their doors in my little corner of the world. They sell crap that barely lasts anyway.

jd

as long as I'm ranting ..... most of their crap comes from china .... their produce is mostly from mexico though

Reactions: SRJT

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bought my 336 30-30 at Kmart in mid to late 70’s for $79. Shot my first deer and many more with it. My son shot his first buck with it when he was 10 years old. Finally tore it apart and gave it a thorough cleaning last year, lol. Still pretty cherry. Tough, beautiful gun.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts