Marlin Firearms Forum banner
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
When br549arkie went to Walmart back in the 60's, they were just gettin cranked up and working out of a log cabin :)

jd
Not quite but not far from it. You actually had to watch what you got somewhat. I got a few 50 rd boxes of Remington 22lr in those red and white boxes back around 68 or 69 that had green corrosion on the brass. Made me wonder if some of the stuff they were getting back then was from insurance salvage or something.:unsure:

·
Premium Member
9,843 Posts
i remember the first Hardees i ever saw. we went to get this special hamburger that we heard was the best in the world! i was in the car with my granddaddy. i don't think he had ever saw a hamburger joint either. we ordered and he was not PC, he said look at that "African American" handling my rations! back then we would have looked at you like a fool if you called anyone an African American, we would have had no idea what that meant, so no, that is not what he said! you can use your imagination, things were a lot different in the south,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
18,158 Posts
Never saw a Walmart until getting stationed at Ft. Leonard Wood, MO in the late 1980s. There weren't many of Sam Walton's stores out west in those days. I remember the prices being a lot cheaper than now. I bought my first Marlin (Model 30AS 30-30) at the local Walmart for 192 bucks (including tax) in 1989. Can't get a brand new Marlin these days for that...........
Rectangle Font Line Slope Parallel

·
Registered
16 Posts
Still have and shoot my Sears and Robuck / JC Higgins Model 103.19770 single shot .22 (actually is a rebranded Marlin 101). Cost a whopping $17.50 brand new.

PS: Anyone have OEM leaf and bead sights for one of those. Mine went MIA many, many years ago when father decided a scope was to be added and it looked sportier without them.

·
Premium Member
4,830 Posts
We got a WM in western KY in the mid 70's I'd guess. My sporting goods came from Sears some, but mostly Western Auto. Can't begin to tell you how many BBs & 22s I bought there while riding my bike. Used to have my 22 rifle slung over my back while riding it. Walked into the store like that too.

Also left the rifle & ammo in the Principles office on some Fridays, because Granddad was picking me and my brother up in his farm truck after school for a weekend of shooting frogs, snakes, crows or whatever!

There was a Castleberry's store and gas station next door to the farm, if I needed more ammo, a Pepsi or ice cream!

Best time of my life!

The Walmart was about 4-5 miles from town, opposite direction from the farm. I was driving by the time WM arrived in town.

·
Super Moderator
12,316 Posts
How many of you remember back in the late 1960's when Walmart used to put 336's on sale for $69.95?
I worked for WT Grants and that's where I got to compare Marlins and Winchester 30-30s.
The Marlins were far better quality than the Winchesters. I think our normal price was $99.99 for the Marlin 336 in 30-30.
$20 cheaper than the Winchester.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
We got a WM in western KY in the mid 70's I'd guess. My sporting goods came from Sears some, but mostly Western Auto. Can't begin to tell you how many BBs & 22s I bought there while riding my bike. Used to have my 22 rifle slung over my back while riding it. Walked into the store like that too.

Also left the rifle & ammo in the Principles office on some Fridays, because Granddad was picking me and my brother up in his farm truck after school for a weekend of shooting frogs, snakes, crows or whatever!

There was a Castleberry's store and gas station next door to the farm, if I needed more ammo, a Pepsi or ice cream!

Best time of my life!

The Walmart was about 4-5 miles from town, opposite direction from the farm. I was driving by the time WM arrived in town.
Them was the good old days.

·
Registered
18,158 Posts
The first new rifle I ever bought was a Model 94 Winchester in .30-30. I got it at Gibson's for ( i think) $119.95 plus tax. Just before Deer Season 1973. Made ammo on the kitchen table with a Lee Loader and a plastic faced mallet.

·
Registered
10,749 Posts
The first new rifle I ever bought was a Model 94 Winchester in .30-30. I got it at Gibson's for ( i think) $119.95 plus tax. Just before Deer Season 1973. Made ammo on the kitchen table with a Lee Loader and a plastic faced mallet.
That's where my younger brother bought his, and right along that same period '73, '74.
He still has it. Heck he killed his first deer the next morning with it. A nice Big ole 5 point.

RP

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 · (Edited)
I remember back when a LOT of highways were dirt roads.
To the paved highway I live 3/4 mile off of was a dirt road till the early 70's. If you went up to that road from where my folks place was and turned left it was 5 miles to pavement and if you turned right it was 12.5 miles to pavement.
I remember one time I was working with a crew that was doing a remodel on a house alongside that road about halfway to town. It was August and drier than a popcorn -fart. I had a dark blue 64 Impala and by the end of the day that car would be so covered in dust from vehicles driving past on that dirt road that you couldn't even see out the windshield when you got in it at the end of the day.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts