Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have ever watched THE GUNSMITH OF WILLIAMSBURG this is a short video of Mr Gussler and a gun he is working on today. If you are not familiar with his work work he used to build longrifles from scratch, welding the barrel up, forging the lock, casting mounts with equipment out of the 18th century. This video is just too short.

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
"Ten to fifteen thousand folks making longrifles in the country. At what? Twenty to thirty guns a year?

I always wanted to go to Colonial Williamsburg, I could see me spending many days there. has anybody here ever been? For how long? Did you see all there is to see? (I know alot depends on the time of year).

Reactions: vacca rabite

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"Ten to fifteen thousand folks making longrifles in the country. At what? Twenty to thirty guns a year?

I always wanted to go to Colonial Williamsburg, I could see me spending many days there. has anybody here ever been? For how long? Did you see all there is to see? (I know alot depends on the time of year).
I have been there twice, once as a kid with my family and later with my wife. You can see most in about 4 days if it is not crowded. We went the second week of September and there was plenty of time to visit with the artist there and the weather was great. A few shops were closed but that did not bother us. You could easily combine a trip to DC with your Williamsburg trip.
I think the most guys are making 1 or 2 rifles a year with a smaller group doing 5 to 10 maybe. Most work a day job and produce just a few, with a very small number making rifles full time. You can still get a totally hand made rifle if you want it.

Reactions: Pat/Rick

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Hey Steve didn't you.say once that he rifle.in the tree is.a.Lyman kit rifle.you did. She sure has a nice look to her.

·
Super Moderator
7,969 Posts
I had a couple of VHS's of him doing stock carving and engraving, a true craftsman!

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had a couple of VHS's of him doing stock carving and engraving, a true craftsman!
I should pick those up. Everyone interested in muzzleloaders should get a copy of the THE GUNSMITH OF WILLIAMSBURG . There are pirated versions on youtube I talked with him at Friendship, a truly great man.

Reactions: Pat/Rick

·
Registered
289 Posts

Many many many times. About 2 - 3 times a year from 1996 to 2006. One of the cool things about reenacting is you often get invited to see things behind the scenes. I've been in/on/and around nearly every building there, and camped on the governor's lawn. :)
Got married there in 2006. When I contacted Williamsburg about the idea, they readily agreed to allow us to get married there. They also offered us a garden, the priest, a carriage ride around the city and even offered to feed us. For free. As long as we did the wedding during open hours and tourists were invited to watch. The folks that run Williamburg and the artisans that work there are some fantastic people.

Zach

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Zach you are deep into the reenacting scene. Williamsburg is truly a national treasure. To get married there would be something indeed. My favorites are the entrance to the Governers Mansion with the pinwheels of Besses and pistols and the Armory with all the arms lining the walls. There were about 10 there that looked brand new which I asked if they were repros. The armorer told me they were never issued and on loan from the Queen.

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
Absolutely awsome !Thanks for the responses! Out here we have Ft Vancouver, and Ft Walla Walla. I am hoping to get to FT Walla Walla this year. Ft Vancouver is nice and they have alot of working volunteers, their blacksmith shop makes alot of items for the Ft itself and for the NPS in general for use at other locations. It doesn't seem up to par with C.Williamsburg though it is a fun place. Many places in the US that are fun and interesting to visit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.