Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did some looking today and will most likely go back to Wal Mart and order me a new rifle. I have been gitting the itch for the M2. I stopped by Wal Mart today to see what they can order. I really want a Marlin 717M2 but figure they wont be out any time soon, so I thought I would bide my time with a NEF Sportster in 17M2. well Wal Mart doesnt have their new 2005 catalog out yet, but their price for the 22LR and 22 Mag is $103.95 they are all the same price. So while I was out I stopped at Scheels in Lincoln. They just so happen to have a 17M2 NEF...at the whopping price of $179.99.

So I ask the guy what they will do on the price and he says your looking at it. I say, your kidding...right? he says no that is the best we can do. I told him that it was MSRP, and asked if he ever paid MSRP for a vehicle or gun? He says, well we just cant do much off that price, thats pretty cheap. I said thats funny that Wal Mart can sell them for $103.95 and all I get is the deer in the headlights look. So out I go.

People can say what they like about Wal Mart, but it stops people from having to take it up their six. These A-holes at Scheels wont deal, not one penny. I figure I can go back to Wal Mart and order the 22 Mag, send it off to NEF and get the 17M2 barrel for $68.00 and still come out better than the hose job they were gonna put on me at Scheels. I will most likely get the 717M2 from Wal Mart when it is available. I'm sorry, but when I know more about guns then the guy selling them, I'm not paying extra for their knowledge. And their service sucks!

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
I prefer shops.. to Wally.. but they do have good prices.. I would go shop for a few dollars more but no 76..

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was at Lincoln Scheels Sunday and that VQ Fusion cought my eye. Think i'll trade in on it soon. :twisted:

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wear your steel mesh underware, so they dont hose you. It would most likely pay to shop around. You can probably find it cheaper. I have about had it with that place. They are higher on just about everything there. If Cabelas or Bass Pro has it for $10.00 it is usually $15.00+ at Scheels. But this BS of "we wont deal" if you are gonna have your guns at MSRP or higher you have to expect to deal. But I will buy at places where I dont have to deal.

·
Premium Member
1,648 Posts
Unfortunetly, the 17M2 isn't available in the accessory barrel program yet according to the list....and the price will be more than $68, H&R started charging $15 for barrel fitting last June, so after you pay to send your frame in and to get it back, you can add about $35 to the cost of the barrel...which is dang close to the cost of an entire rimfire rifle at WM!

http://hr1871.com/barrelAcc/index.htm

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I realize that with the cost of shipping ect, it will be close to the cost of the rifle at Wal Mart, but will still be better off than getting hosed at Scheels....and I will have 2 barrels for the rifle.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I ordered a Savage MKII GLV 17hm2 from wal mart last summer, got it pretty quick too and the price was 180. Really a nice rifle and very accurate. You might want to look at the Savage, Big Med.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Yep, SNavages and Marlins usually get to wally world pretty quickly if they're not already in stock. Both are good shooters from what I hear too.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
the main reason for the price diffrence is the corporations buying power is much,much greaterthey get em much cheaperso they can sell em cheaper thats how they run the little shops out of business they also don't put thier necks on the line by being gun owners and shooters themselves[as a corporation]and as a Corporation they don't vote for pro-gun candidates or use Corporate funds to influence pro-gun attitudes among society.I bought one gun from them,most I buy from gun shop's I don't care for them just as they don't care for me or you,they care for our money,they are a corporation,that's what corporations do.I drive across America and it used to be I could go to different states and see different ways of doing things but nowadays if I go to another state and pull up in front of a store I know before I get there how its laid out inside and what stores are gonna be there.I don't really like that it's uninteresting.Shootrj2003

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a Savage 9317 in the 17 HMR and it a great shooting gun. But just wanted something different this time. I may just end up waiting until Marlin gets the 717M2 out. That looks like one fun little gun.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Sounds like big medicine is on a mission. Can't blame ya. The few shops around here in a pinch because not only Walmart, but BPS & GanderMnt. has volume. Well volume is one thing, knowledge is another. Take for example if I tool up to a favorite shop and pick up some reloading stuff, usually run into another shooter maybe hunter and strike up a conversation. Even if it's just the owner or smith, still it's comfortable. Now go to a big store, and it's like shopping for groceries - not the same, or not as personal. I guess what you save in what your looking for makes the difference. But what about warrenty work if needed, time and trust. Then you turn around and find a ATR in .270 or 30-6 at wally world for only $244, and Gander doesn't even have any on display! Not that I need one, but that 336 on clearance was lookin nice, .. damn it. Funny how sometimes you go to a shop for - I dunno some H-380, and spot a nice old Stevens, or a trade-in. Shop I know has a collection from an estate being sold there. If, yeah if I was shopping for another gun I could easily spend 60 bucks in gas trying to find a deal to save the same. What realy kills me is 3 years ago you didn't have the competition in the area.

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I do envy people how have nice shops to go to. In South East Nebr there really isnt much. The nearest wally world is 45 miles, and there are a couple guns shops around. One I wont even step foot in. If MSRP is $400.00 then he sells it for $600.00 I dont even go there any more. I have a friend that has a shop in Falls City, but it is difficult for me to get there because of my work hours, but I still buy there when I can. His prices are fair, he is not out pay all his bills with one gun sale, and he sells a lot of guns because of it. But when it comes to reloading supplies none of the shops carry reloading supplies or powder. Scheels in Lincoln carries some supplies, but never seems to have what I need when I go there, and again...you can bet it is higher than anywhere else. Scheels is no local store, it is a chain store. As far as getting work done, none of the shops do gun smith work. Any of the gun smiths in the area just do gun work, none have shops to sell guns or supplies. I wouldnt mind paying a little extra from a small shop, but getting hosed 75 dollars or more from a chain store, there aint no way!

·
Registered
97 Posts
I hope this doesn't make somebody mad or start a debate but....
When I'm looking for a new firearm, I usually shop around and buy it where I can get it at the best price.

I have only ever bought one firearm from WalMart. And it wasn't because they had the best price, it was because they had it in stock.

We have 3 gun shops in town and none of them ever try very hard to earn my business. I'm not sure why. In fact, I'm surprised that Gander Mountain and WalMart havn't run them out of business because the folks in there do try to earn MY business when I go in.

I have alway felt that people buy from people. When people don't service customers, customers buy on price alone or go somewhere else.

Wannabe

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I only really go to one local gunshop around these parts. The closest one...well lets just say I wouldn't piss on that place if it was on fire. I have NEVER had a merchant SCREAM at me because I wouldn't buy an over priced product from them. Man that fella ticked me off. OTOH I have bought several rifles from Wal-Mart (3 Marlin rimfires) and have a Remington 11-87 from there that my wife gave me...ya'll saw it at Shawnee last year. I try to spread my pennies around to all who support the RKBA and have decent prices. 8)

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Sounds like any place there might be more wide open spaces has a lack of small gun shops and I guess a lack of population does that - those that are there, seems they realized that they don't have to be customer oriented to get business[they're the only guy in town!]I guess some things in N.Y. aren't so bad because the small shops here seem to me for the most part to treat you decent and I personally don't think the prices are bad[they could always be cheaper though,I won't complain!]Danurve, you must have a Dick's Sporting Goods there? Shootrj2003

·
Registered
264 Posts
Yes there's actually 3 of them within an hours drive or less. Few years ago I bought my 25mn there. And they do have some volume. It's kinda weird what competition will do to ones shopping habbits.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
I have a few firearms.. the only one I got at Wally was the 336.. it was on sale for 229.. they over stocked for season and didn't sell.. I bought one as spur of moment thing..

I do purchase most of my ammo and guns at one of three places.. Grice's Gun Shop, Bob's Army and Navy (cz dealer) and Ports..

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
We don't have that problem here in Puerto Rico. Due to local laws Wal-Mart, K-mart, Costco, nor Sam's Club sells either firearms nor ammunition. We all have to go to gun shops for those. Luckily I live in metropolitan San Juan and have 5 guns shops within 15-20 minutes from my home. Another one hour away, where I do most of my work. Two of them are very well-stocked, and another will let me order anything I want direct and have it shipped to him. That's what I had to do when I needed 7.62X54R ammo. Now, the well-stocked shop carries new Wolf ammo in that caliber. Nobody else does. 8mm Mauser is also iffy. About half of my guns have been special ordered. They say I'm out of touch with the times. Of course, the guy I had to bug to order me a Kimber .45 is very happy now as their only dealer in PR. He usually gives me an automatic discount of anything I buy there. It's OK, but I really go ga-ga when I'm in a major sporting goods/gun store in the continental US.

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well I was able to get a hold of my friend who has a shop in Falls City, he had been on vacation. He retired and then opened up a gunshop. Anyway he ordered a NEF for me, should be in tomorrow....cost $130.00. It is funny how I guy that doesnt have the "volume" can undersell the big volume store by $40-50.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts