Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious on a pair of Waffle Top values.

#1 - at local LGS. E serial # = 1948 DOM. 30-30. undrilled/unmolested. Good + condition, but good bit of blue wear. Wood is near perfect and very nice waves (no figure). They have $399 on it. I would jump on it, but already have a 30-30 and no real desire to have two. UNLESS I got it and turned one of the 30-30s into a 38-55!

#2 - in my safe - buddy gave it to me to play with. not for sale, but... J serial # - 1952 DOM. Waffle Top, but has been D/T. This one is a 32 Special!!! Only caliber I don't have, and have always wanted! Blueing is good, wood is good. Condition you would expect for a 60 yo hunting rifle. Considering making an offer on it. What would be a fair and reasonable price? ~$450?

Thanx

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
The prices vary in different parts of the country I'm gonna say somewhere between $300-350 just because it's been D&T!!!

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Are these 336A, SC or RC ? Pardon my ignorance but in 1948DOM, ​what does DOM mean? OOPS date of manufacturer

·
Registered
7,923 Posts
I have a 336a with a 24" barrel waffle top. Not drilled out, One good size scratch on the stock, otherwise the wood looks good. Some pitting on the back side of the receiver when I bought it. But I bought it to shoot it and was not concerned about some marks on it. Its deadly accurate. Great gun, buy it. $399 would be good if its at LGS, less in private sale if possible. If you want the gun, buy it.

I understand tho waffle tops were only made for 5 years. Don't sleep while someone else snaps it up. Bring a bore light next time you go there to determine how much it was fired.

By the way, there is no such as thing as too many 30-30s.

Mike T.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Been in this market hard for the last six months. Golphin is on the mark with an average of $400 for a SC or RC in condition described. 336A rifles seem to command about a $150 premium. D&T drops the value in the eyes of many-- 32 Special adds a similar value, kinda cancel each other out.

Reactions: OIF2

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanx guys. Wanted to make sure the original 30-30 was about right.

The one I would really consider adding to my collection would be the 32 SPC. More because it is a 32, and not because it is a WT. And with my old eyes, it would save frustrating me around the D&T vs struggling to see! I get to shoot the rifle at my liesure, so will know if it shoots.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
336A rifles seem to command about a $150 premium.*

Why is that? Reason I ask is I know where a G Prefix (1950) is. Its in nice shape and it has 336A stamped on the barrel. Only thing keeping me from grabbing it is price, $579 and someone drilled the tang for a site. The holes have been filled with something, solder maybe. If it wasnt for the tang, I probly would have bought it by now or at least haggled with em about it. But geesh, messed up tang AND $579.....

Hayden.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
336A rifles seem to command about a $150 premium.*

Why is that? Hayden.
Believe less 336A were produced, is the reason it commands a premium. Have noticed on gun broker, good 336A usually have a start or reserve/buy now at $600 or a bit more, which is above the 400 to 500 set on a lot of 336SC/RC. Noted the same gun on gunbroker, and passed for the same reason. Would have bought as a shooter if the price had been right.

Currently, my waffle tops are untapped. The day is coming where, iron sights may prove increasingly difficult to use effectively. Like Oscarflyter, I will deliberately seek out already tapped (factory or otherwise) 336SC or 336A rifles, rather than drill my untapped rifles.

Actually, the day of needing a scoped 336SC 35 Rem for hunting has come, because of the older eyes vision issue. The SC being my favored Marlin rifle. What I ended up doing was creating a sort of 336SC from a 1976 336 35 Rem that was laying around. Upon shooting it quickly realized, these days I really need a scope for first class shooting, so slapped a scope on her.

Biome Tree Trunk Plant Recreation

Attachments

Reactions: Ret_Eng

·
Registered
105 Posts
From the far Southwest corner of the States, a few regional observations. First Marlin levers are not hot items here. Black rifles and the like or in the more vintage realm bolt actions more often preside. Still, in a shop I'd expect to pay $400 for a vintage waffletop. But that would be in fairly pristine condition. Any higher price or lesser condition and it would likely become a 'shelf queen' at such price. At a gunshow perhaps at least $50 less. As a collector item post-factory drilling and tapping almost always greatly reduces value of an otherwise pristine gun and that not just speaking about Marlins but virtually the range of collectible models. As a category, I consider the waffle tops collectibles first and shooters second. As a shooter of course, D&T really makes little difference if properly accomplished and not setup exclusively for some weird sighting device.

It seems to me one of the greatest novice mistake made in buying used potentially collectible guns is ignoring irreversible alterations. The altered guns can still be good values if at a depreciated price! Example below: Photos of a handsome but refinished Marlin 1893 which wears a decent perhaps fifty year old 'period quality' refinish, yet most of the collectible value destroyed by it. A take down in 38-55, I bought it many years ago and dirt cheap even then.

From a multi-decade collector...
My take.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,923 Posts
I noticed a WTB ad on armslist.com over a month ago. A girl was looking for 336a. I sent her an email and asked her why, was it because of the 24" barrel and she replied that was the reason. I left it at that. I wasn't aware that the 336a was more in demand when I bought it, but what drew me to the rifle was the longer barrel. I bid on it and won it at an Auction.

I bought it to shoot, not collect. Its nice to know I didn't buy something nobody else wants! :biggrin:

Mike T.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
graymustang, like you, I am in the process of putting together my version of an SC or a deLux version. I started with a really nice Glenfield 30. I ordered some fairly nice wood from Numerich, checkered walnut for a .22. The forearm is darker than the butt stock, but no matter. I have to now open the tube channel, otherwise it should be a perfect fit. End result is to be a too nice rifle. It wears a 73 vintage Weaver K-3 that I know the history about since it sold new. Very low round count on the scope and the condition is like new. I do fairly well with aperture sights, but their glass is better.

The Glenfield 30 is my go to .30-30 already. The upgrade will just push it over the top. The birch wood is nice with only a few small marks - no break in the finish. I had intended to sell the birch, but I may keep it.

I have a first year ADL with beat up wood. I may do the same thing to it. The condition is more beater status than collector grade. Since the waffle top is unmolested,,I use a Williams receiver sight on it.

Best wishes,

jack

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Papabear, had I been smart, I would have started with a Glenfield 30A, and saved the expense of having my smith set up the shortened mag. Fortunately, I make no claim to being the brightest bulb on the tree, or this site. Those Weaver K-3 are outstanding and to frequently over looked. Have one with just a post, and no cross hair on a 99, get used alot. Your build sounds nice, gotta post pics when done.

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Reference a scope - I am still good with peep sights. The Skinners are working fantastically for me!

And yes, I will buy a 'collector' with irreversible mods, as a much less expensive shooter. Most of mine are shooters at the end of the day anyway. Couple collectors, but I shoot them too!

And prob going to pass on the 32 SPC. Just found a shooter Savage 340 in 223 that I think I can get out the door for $250. Does have an issue that kills its collector value, but have looked at them for awhile, this one will be a pure shooter and a lot of fun. Figured on one in 222, but 223 is better choice as I am completely set up to reload for it.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
I'll sell my 1950 336a waffle top for 1,000,000,000.00 Face Nose Chin Forehead Head

Doc

·
Registered
376 Posts
Papabear, had I been smart, I would have started with a Glenfield 30A, and saved the expense of having my smith set up the shortened mag. Fortunately, I make no claim to being the brightest bulb on the tree, or this site. Those Weaver K-3 are outstanding and to frequently over looked. Have one with just a post, and no cross hair on a 99, get used alot. Your build sounds nice, gotta post pics when done.
FYI Glenfield 30A has full length magazine, but it does have a fore end cap, not barrel band. Glenfield 30 has the 1/2 magazine.

·
Super Moderator
26,091 Posts
My take on the 336A is probably different than what I have read so far. You can't find one in my LGSs--none to be had. Turd conditioned JM 336C 30-30s are going for 500 bucks locally--who knows what a much harder to find 336A would bring? Graymustang is right--fewer 336As were made during the 1940s-1960s and mid to late 1970s compared to the RC/SC/CS/C models. My three 336As shoot circles around my former carbines (yes--former--got rid of most of them--could not compare to the 336A accuracy). I bought my VG conditioned 336As on GB for 430-450 bucks a few years back. Can't find many for that price now--the JM online pricing wars have drastically affected these models. If you find one locally at an attractive price--jump on it. That attractive price is going to be determined by your local JM market demand.

Firearm Gun Rifle Air gun Trigger

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.