Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
what wad cutters are available to us non-casters that would fit the 30-30?

jd
Dardas has wadcutters that are 32 call but sized to 312. They work very well and only
$62 per 1000. Any 32 cal pistol bullet will work in a 30 cal rifle if sized to .310-312". I have found that the semi wacutters also work well and the carbine bullets , 110- 120 gr are superb

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I don't do wadcutters, but I do flush loaded round balls that feed in my .35 Rem 336, and .30-30 in my 1893...

Did you try loading those as dropped at .360"?
I honed a .358 Lee push thru sizer to .359. I ran these through because adding the powder coat gets them a little big for chambering in my 358's throat.

I do think that .360 would work.

I like the round ball loads as well. I use them in 30 cal
They are very quiet and cheap shooting in the 32 & 327 pistols

By the way, some #4 buck is a perfect fit in .223.I will have to check my load but they hit to the same point of aim as my varmint loads

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
must be zipping right along
I air-headed that statement. It follows the same as the previous one about having the light load hitting the same sight picture at their usage range. In this case, I believe that I use only about 2 grs of 231 and it hits center at about 50 - 75 feet with about the same sound as a 22 minimag. The pellets weight 18 grs Very tight groups.

My 52 gr Varmint bullets are sighted for 100 yds at the crosshairs.

My scoped bolt guns use a Nikon BDC scope that has crosshairs and several rings for different yardages so if I can't get them tuned to center, I use one of the lower rings for the light loads. This can allow several bullets to be used without scope adjustment. It has worked well in my Savages that came stock with that scope.
It is fun to try with all of the various 30 cal bullets and I am looking forward to trying it now with the 35 and pistol bullets. The only real issue is making sure that the bullets fit well in the bore. As I mentioned, some cast bullet companies offer several sizing options.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.