Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying this query again. I'm looking to standardize my 45-70 cases for safety & accuracy. I have more W-W than R-P, so am entering into a trade for W-W. Pls. share your pro's & con's. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Not much of a difference stay with one or the other will help with status que.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Please send me the ones you don't want anymore.:)

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Guess it depends on how many you have. ------------- If you don't have very many of either brand, cut your losses and save yourself a BUNCH of money and switch to Starline. ----------------- Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
There is quite a variance in capacity between different brands of .45-70 brass. Pressures and velocities of an established load will change when switching to a different brand of brass. A maximun or near maximum load developed in Winchester brass could very well be dangerous in Remington brass. Use caution!

Originally Posted by swany

As measured by Brian Pierce.

1-.45-70 Remington Brass/76.2 grains of water (1.3 grains less than Starline Brass)

2-.45-70 Starline Brass/77.5 grains of water (2.8 grains less than Winchester Brass)

3-.45-70 Winchester Brass/80.3 grains of water (4.1 grains "More" than Remington Brass)

Roe

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
i have more ww than anything else and as far as standardization goes i use what is easiest for me to get a hold of just my opinion

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
There is quite a variance in capacity between different brands of .45-70 brass. Pressures and velocities of an established load will change when switching to a different brand of brass. A maximun or near maximum load developed in Winchester brass could very well be dangerous in Remington brass. Use caution!

Originally Posted by swany

As measured by Brian Pierce.

1-.45-70 Remington Brass/76.2 grains of water (1.3 grains less than Starline Brass)

2-.45-70 Starline Brass/77.5 grains of water (2.8 grains less than Winchester Brass)

3-.45-70 Winchester Brass/80.3 grains of water (4.1 grains "More" than Remington Brass)

Roe
Is that after being sized and trimed?

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Seems like possibly we are trying to over think this situation. Personally I went with Starline brass because of the huge price difference. Have seen no reason, other then I don't like to deal direct with the company, to change brands. --------- A person needs to work up their loads with any brand they buy as it is always a poor Choice to randomly switch between brands ---------- In many of the 45/70 loads and depending on the firearm and level of loading, you may not be dealing with dangerous pressure levels in a brass switch, BUT without question the pressure differences caused by brass capacity will make a change in how your load preforms. --------- With your bucks buying about 25% more Starline brass then when buying WW or Rem. seems like a no brainer to me. -------- Quality product, great price. ---------- Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

1 - 11 of 11 Posts