Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately I have been thinking of getting a 1-4x20 leupold scope and not sure which level of vx to buy.In cabelas the features go up as the price does.My question is does anyone own a vx3 and is the quality worth the price over a vx 2 or 1 even if it is a different size I'm asking clarity,features,etc?

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Hey Dave,

I own all of the above. The VX III is a great scope and a little pricy but well worth the $$ if you want vision well after sunset. I have tested the VX III and Swarvoski side by side. There is a minute difference but not $1500 worth. I will not shoot a deer at dusk unless it is > 50 yards. I don't want to track into the wee hours of the night.

All said and done I have a Vari X II on my .35 CS and my Browning 308. Both scopes are about 35 years old and crystal clear, tough as nails. Some shun the small objective lens saying it does not allow enough light into the scope. This simply not true. The scope is short by design thus not needing the 40 mm or 50 mm flair for the objective lens. It allows ample light for it's designed use, relatively short shots, >150 yds. which is all I ask of a 30-30 or 35.

Leupold makes a class optic and as you say, the larger price tag the more you get.

What kind of shooting will you do?

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hunt mostly in the woods so most of my shots will be a hundred yards or less.This scope will go on our 30-30 since my son likes a scope but thought the 3-9x40 added to much weight(just turned ten).I want the scope for the wide field of view,lightweight,and since alot of our deer come at dawn and dusk a bright clear image.Thanks for the reply Sidespin you made my decision easy and I'll post when I get it.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Lemme know. You are raising your son right. Some would load up on "scope" with nothing less than a 3-9. Too much worthless weight for the woods.

Most I have taken in the woods have been take on 1x. Best field of view and eash to find game.

Ss

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
I have several Leupolds - haven't counted but has to be at least 20. Probably a close race between FX/VXII's and VXIII's. I would suggest a VXII as your minimum. If your budget doesn't allow for that then I'd go to a different brand.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts