Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Has anyone mounted and used a Vortex Crossfire II 2-7 Scout Scope on a 1895? What does everyone think of it?
I have one on mine and my wife's SBLs. They're decent scopes with generous eye relief. A little fisheyed at 2x, the sweet spot is around 4x but they're accurate to 100 yards+ at 7x. The small objective makes things difficult to sight in when the sun starts getting low.

·
Registered
482 Posts
This is a tough one for me. I am a huge fan of scout scopes and love vortex scopes...but honestly I think their 2-7 scout is a bit of a miss for them. Unlike the other scout scopes I have used they are much more sensitive to eye alignment, the optic suffer a bit, not nearly as clear as the rest of the vortex line, and it doesn’t do well when the sun is getting low in the sky. Now that’s not because of the light gathering but rather glare. I really wanted to like it but I just can’t. I haven’t used one in the field so take all this with a grain of salt but I’ve looked through them a bunch of times and they unfortunately disappoint me every time.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I've had very bad luck with the vortex scout. Sent it back as it didn't hold up on my socom. They sent me a brand new one . Used it some yesterday and wasn't having very good luck with it ,will have to play with it some more but don't think it's going to work out.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone . If on a SBL, what rings, height and if quick detachable?

Keep the reviews and suggestions coming please. I am somewhat anal about checking things out before spending money. Heck, it took me four years to buy my SBL.

Padraig

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Might want to look at the new Leupold QRW 2 rings. They have a small improvement over the original QRW rings and are much easier to set up than the Warne or Weaver rings. I have them all but the Leupold's are a step above the others.
What height with a SBL and Crossfire Scout Scope?

Padraig

·
Super Moderator
23,558 Posts
I had to use mid-height rings for my 1895G--the Vortex CF II Eye Bell is much larger than the objective lens. I have had very good luck with my scope so far and agree with the comments about the scope fussiness on 2X---but it works well for me on 3X-7X. I plan on using this set-up in the fall from my ground blind.
IMGP0097.JPG

Reactions: Sambane

·
Super Moderator
23,476 Posts
Okay so I thought about taking a pass on posting about this
because i don't like to be negative but i will share my experience...

I ordered one of these as my first scout-scope.
I got it all set up and on the gun, and after stepping outside
and shouldering it a few times I decided to take it off and send it back.
Main reason is it was just too tall.
Having to be mounted on medium rings like it was, my head was
bobbing around and it just wasn't right for me.
To me, a scout setup should feel like shooting irons,
and the scope set up should be low...real low, and should
facilatate a cheek-weld.
Maybe I'm wrong about that but that's my idea of it.
This experience turned me off the scout rig all together.
I think if I'd ordered a smaller scope I might have stuck
with it.
I may decide to give it a try again someday...

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Retired Engineer, Thanks!!!!
I have to bring my pup down to an orthopedic vet near Wheeling WV and will be going by the Cabela's. They are supposed to have Vortex Scout Scope. If I like it I will l8kely pick one up and a set of quick release rings. Thought about purchasing on line but something like a scope I wanted to touch and look through it.

Padraig

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks, Navajo, all input is valuable. I have worried some about the height, one of the reasons I wanted to look at it. Although will not be able to really get a feel for it without mounting on the rifle and shooting it. Do you know if the Burris or Leupold uses low mount rings and if so, how much lower is it? As you can tell I am not an expert on scopes.

Padraig

·
Super Moderator
23,558 Posts
Retired Engineer, Thanks!!!!
I have to bring my pup down to an orthopedic vet near Wheeling WV and will be going by the Cabela's. They are supposed to have Vortex Scout Scope. If I like it I will l8kely pick one up and a set of quick release rings. Thought about purchasing on line but something like a scope I wanted to touch and look through it.

Padraig
I bought my scout scope from the Cabelas store in Gainesville, VA so I would think the WV store would have one.

Reactions: Sambane

·
Super Moderator
23,476 Posts
Thanks, Navajo, all input is valuable. I have worried some about the height, one of the reasons I wanted to look at it. Although will not be able to really get a feel for it without mounting on the rifle and shooting it. Do you know if the Burris or Leupold uses low mount rings and if so, how much lower is it? As you can tell I am not an expert on scopes.

Padraig

I would think, that anything that's 20 or 28MM should use low rings...
Depending on the diameter of the rear eyepiece...
What I mean is, if it is a variable, some are bigger on that end than
the other. (some are by quite a bit)
I once looked thru and held a rifle with a Leupold 2.5X scout scope on it,
and it was nice and low. I believe it was the FX2 2.5X28

·
Super Moderator
23,558 Posts
I have a 444P with a Leupold M8 2.5X scope (ancestor to the Leupold FX2 2.5X) mounted in low Weaver rings. Its not a scout scope but works really well in a more traditional scope mount set-up.
20180227_154751.jpg

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the advise. Bought a Vortex Scout scope yesterday. Cabela's staff looked up all the specs and figured high rings. Thanks to Ret Eng, I asked them to try the medium Warne rings and they were a good fit. Definitely would not be enough clearance for low rings. Will post close up pic later.

Again, thanks for the help.....this forum ROCKS!

Padraig

1 - 18 of 18 Posts