Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a text from UPS that my new Vortex Crossfire II 2-7x32 Scout Scope will be delivered tomorrow.
This will be my third Vortex scope purchase, but my first Vortex scout scope purchase.
I have a Vortex Crossfire II 2-7x32 scope on a Marlin 375 Win rifle. I have a Vortex Diamondback 2-8x32 w/side focus scope mounted on a Colt M4 223 rifle.
I was looking for a new scout scope to put on a Marlin 1894SS in 44 Mag that has the XS scout rail that I installed on it. I originally was going to pick up a Leupold FX scout scope, 2.5x power. Looking over the different available scout scopes, the prices ranges from $120.00 - $500+. The Leupold I wanted was $299.00. Then I saw that Vortex just introduced their new scout scope, the Crossfire 2-7x32 scout scope. I looked around online and the big optic places seem to have a one to three month shipping time on these scopes. I looked it up on Amazon and a supplier had it in stock with free 2 day shipping with my Prime membership. I went ahead and bought it off of Amazon for $149.00.

My first scout scope, a Burris 2.75x20 scout scope, came on a Marlin 336SS Ltd 35 Rem rifle I had purchased. At first I didn't think I would like the scout scope setup. After getting past the fact that the scope wasn't mounted where one would normally mount a scope and getting used to the scope being much farther away from my shooting eye, I have grown to really like the scout scope setup. My favorite aspect of the scout scope is being able to keep both eyes open when zeroing in on my target so I never lose sight of the animal. Close my left eye and there's the animal in the scope. If you have ever had the opportunity to use an ACOG scope on your black rifle setup, you'll know what I mean by being able to use both eyes and switch between the normal view and the scoped view keeping both eyes open. Most brains can switch back and forth doing this, but a very small percentage of shooters can't do this. After picking up several more scout scopes and mounts and putting them on various Marlins, I really enjoy using the scout scope setup. They're not for every rifle out there, but for lever actions they have worked out very well for me.

If this scout scope is anything like their Crossfire II 2-7x32 scope I have currently, I will be a happy camper.
I will post more in this thread when I get mounted and out to the range. I've got an ammo can full of 44 Mag cartridges waiting to have this scope mounted on the rifle so they can help me test it out.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Looking forward to your range report.
I've got a Winnie 94 that I want to setup that way this summer. I thought Burris and Leupold were my the only two decent choices.
Perhaps this could be a contender.

Vooch

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It was almost like Christmas time when UPS came today! Not only did the Vortex Crossfire II scout scope come in, but the Weaver Grand Slam scope mounts for my Browning BLR 358Win rifle came in as well.
I didn't get home till after 7:30 this evening so there was no way I was getting out to shoot the rifle before dark after spending time getting the scope mounted.
Getting the scope mounted wasn't as easy as 1-2-3 and done. I ended up having to use the Weaver Quad high height rings as the medium height rings were too low for the scope's eyepiece, as the eyepiece would rest on the scope rail when using the medium height rings. Luckily I had two sets of the high height rings in which two of the rings out of the four are extended rings. The bases mount the rail and the cradle the scope sets in is extended another inch forward instead of the cradle being directly above where the ring mounts on the rail. So I mounted the two extended rings on the scope rail and set the scope in the cradles and took a look through the scope, perfect sight picture from 2x to 5x. From 6x to 7x I had to tilt my head forward just a tad for a clear sight picture. When I had the scope mounted a .5" back to 1.5" back, towards the hammer, the sight picture wasn't clear from 2x to 6x and just barely at 7x. So moving it as far forward towards the front of the barrel as the XS scout scope rail would allow the rings to go allowed me to have the best sight picture.
The eye relief is advertised at 9.5", I didn't measure it, but it seems farther than 9.5".
BTW, I have the Marlin 1894 XS Full Length Scout Scope rail that includes the front and rear sights, where the rear sight is mounted on the back end of the scope rail just forward of the hammer, and not the shorter XS Lever Scout Scope rail that mounts on the back end using the two front scope mounting holes.
If the forward length, the end of the scope rail that is towards the end of the barrel and not the hammer, of both of these rails is the same, then you should be fine mounting this scope on either of these two scout scope rails.
I got the scope bore sighted and after looking through the scope at different power levels a few more times, put the rifle back in the safe.
As a side note, I mounted the Weaver Grand Slam scope mounts on the Browning BLR rifle and then mounted an older gloss black Leupold Vari X-III 3.5-10x40 scope using Warnes stainless steel rings. The gloss black scope with the stainless rings mounted on the stainless receiver with the glossy walnut stocks looks pretty awesome. I got the Leupold bore sighted and then put it back in the safe.
I'll definitely be home early tomorrow so I can take these two rifles out to the range and get these scopes zeroed in. Hope there's no Honey-Do list for me tomorrow that can't wait till later to do.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
A little Christmas in May, I like it!

Well written report Khough, it give me solid info to work off when I finally order and install an XS base on my 94.
Looking forward to your range report once completed!

Thanks,
Vooch

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Went to the range this afternoon with four rifles in tow. I took the Marlin 1894SS with the new Vortex Crossfire II Scout Scope, the Browning BLR 358 Win with the Leupold Vari X-III 3.5-10x40 w/AO, Ruger 10/22 with thick target barrel and Nikon BDC Buckmaster 6.5-18x42, and a Colt M4 22LR.
The only problem I had at the range was grabbing the wrong ammo box for the 1894SS. Instead of grabbing the ammo box with the 44Mag ammo in it, I grabbed the 41Mag ammo box by mistake. After going through the truck console, I found 7 44Mag cartridges and two full speedloaders, so I had 19 44Mag cartridges total.
I ended up shooting 7 rounds through the 1894SS. It took me 4 shots to get the scope sighted in at 25 yards and then I took three shots at the fifty yard target. First shot at 50 yards needed a scope adjustment and the next two were in the bullseye. I like this new Vortex scout scope. I'm going to take it out again tomorrow and grab the right ammo box and get it sighted in at 100 yards. The scope set on 7x while shooting at the 25 and 50 yard targets, gave me nice crisp targets to shoot at, although I did have to adjust the ocular bell to focus in the 25 yard target slightly. When glassing the lake later this afternoon when I was done shooting, the island, which is about 250 yards away from where I was standing, and the dam, which is about 800 yards away from where I was standing, all looked bright with crisp edges on the grass and leaves on the trees. After I get it zeroed at 100 yards I'll let you know how it did. At 25 and 50 yards it did good for the little I shot it.

Reactions: mearl and Vooch

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pics of the Vortex Crossfire II Scout Scope on the 1894SS:
IMG_4360.JPG

IMG_4361.JPG

IMG_4362.JPG

IMG_4363.JPG

IMG_4364.JPG

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
More Pics:

IMG_4365.JPG

IMG_4366.JPG

IMG_4367.JPG

Reactions: Ret_Eng and Vooch

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Went out shooting this afternoon!!
I got a little 41Mag crazy last fall and loaded up two ammo boxes with 41Mag cartridges, I won't have to reload 41Mag ammo for a long while. Each box holds around 250-300 rounds of 41Mag ammo. So, since I thought I had one ammo box full of 44Mag ammo and it ended up I was totally out, I reloaded 50 rounds before I headed out to shoot.
To reload, I used 50 pieces of new 44Mag Starline Brass, Federal Magnum Large Pistol Primers, Maxtech 240gr SJSP bullets, Lil'Gun 24.2-24.5gr powder, 1.600" COL.
Off to the range.

Took some more shots at the 50 yard target till I was comfortable with where the bullets were hitting. Moved to the 100 yard target and shot several at an old target till I had it zeroed in.
Put up a new target, had the scope set at 7X, and took three shots, all three landed in the circles.
IMG_4356.JPG

Loaded up the mag tube with 10 more cartridges, had the scope set at 7x, and I let loose:
IMG_4357.JPG

I fired all 50 reloaded 44Mag cartridges before I left the range, and counting the seven I fired yesterday, I have fired 57 shots total 44Mag rounds with this scope. So far the scope is holding up great.
I spent $149.00 shipped for the Vortex Crossfire II 2-7x32 Scout Scope off of Amazon.Com, (only Vendor I found with this scope In Stock online). The next 2-7x32 scout scope I saw, the Burris Scout Rifle Scope 2-7x32mm w/Ballistic Plex, cost $399.00 plus shipping. For the cost of the Burris scope I can purchase the Vortex scope and a XS Lever Scout Scope mount ($49.50), rings, and keep almost $200.00 in my pocket.
I plan on loading up another hundred or two 44Mag cartridges and going shooting next week. If the scope screws up, I'll come back and post it in this thread.
At this point with this scope purchase, I am very happy I took the gamble in buying this scope. It looks like it is going to be a great scope.

·
Premium Member
3,217 Posts
Did I miss it? Which reticle did you go for? And thanks for the Vortex write up!

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did I miss it? Which reticle did you go for? And thanks for the Vortex write up!

Vortex calls the reticle their V-Plex reticle:
ret_v_plex.jpg

Reactions: kobeinu

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A little Christmas in May, I like it!

Well written report Khough, it give me solid info to work off when I finally order and install an XS base on my 94.
Looking forward to your range report once completed!

Thanks,
Vooch

Vooch,

I ordered another one of these Vortex scout scopes last night along with a Weaver 336 Scout Scope Mount off of amazon.com, total cost shipped, (I have Amazon Prime, two day free shipping), was just under $185.00.
I got the Weaver scout scope mount as I want to compare it to the XS Scout Rail and XS Lever Scout scope mounts I have currently.
Needless to say, but I'm really happy with this Vortex scout scope. I hope this second one will be as good as the first one.
I looked through the scope warranty info, and this scope has the Vortex VIP Warranty, which is Vortex's unconditional, unlimited lifetime warranty.
It's good to know that when looking at scout scope options, Vortex has put on the market another great choice for a scout scope.
My only complaint at the moment would be that it isn't made in the states like the Burris and Leupold scout scopes are.

Reactions: mearl and Vooch

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Khough,

Unless something goes drastically wrong with yours in the interim, you've got me pretty much sold on on buying one this summer.
I've been a rather strict Leupold customer for a number of years now, but with the VIP warranty you mention I'll give Vortex a shot.

As an aside I just bought 500 of the Magtech 240gr. SJSP bullets for my Rossi and Ruger carbines, nice to see you're getting good results with them.

Vooch

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Vooch,
I will post in this thread if anything goes wrong.
Leupolds are my favorite also. At dawn and at dusk, that's when you'll find out how good your scope glass really is and Leupold hasn't let me down.

Reactions: dpe.ahoy and Vooch

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After going back and forth I decided to take the second scout scope off of the 30-30 I put it on and put it on a Marlin 1895GS 45-70 Govt. I had come across an XS scout rail I bought off one of the members here in my scope parts box and decided to take off the Leupold 2-7x33 scope and mount and put on the XS scout rail. I mounted and bore sighted the Vortex scout scope and made yet another trip out to the range. The Vortex handled the 45-70 recoil from my reloaded rounds and the recoil of 5 rounds of Buffalo Bore 45-70 ammo. So far I am very happy with this Vortex scout scope.

Reactions: Vooch

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I picked up two more Vortex Crossfire II 2-7x32 Scout scopes last week as I decided to switch out a Burris 2.5x scout scope and a Leupold 2.5x IER scope. The Burris 2.5x was on a Marlin 336SS LTD 35 Rem and the Leupold 2.5x IER scope was on a Marlin 1895XLR 45-70 rifle. I wanted to bump up the scope magnification on these rifles but keep the scout scope setup. The Vortex scout scopes, besides giving me a higher power scope over the Burris and the Leupold scopes, also give me a wider view on the low end, not that I really needed that as of yet, but I may in the future.
If there's anyone reading this thread and has tried out the Vortex Crossfire II 2-7x32 Scout scope, let us know your experiences with it and what you like and dislike about it.

Reactions: njcioffi

·
Registered
683 Posts
nope I have a diamondback and it rocks and at dusk or dawn or midnight with and without the moon the diamondback I think is 2x7 holds it on to a vx3/III. I have been leupy user with the vx3 for over 20 years. I was very impressed when I did a side by side comparison with it to a same size vx3. Ive had a few strikefires on other black rifles or shotguns and been very happy with the product and especially the warranty as it is the same as leupold. Ive had great dealings years ago on a strikefire and they were awesome, sent me a scope on their dime to compare it to mine so I could evaluate if I had a defective one. Said it if was bad to swap it out and send the other in AWESOME. lately been some negative reviews on the csv service from some members. There a company that is trying their hardest to make good glass cheaper than the competitors. They are doing well on the market right now, got some govt contracts and stuff, but I think their R*D department is constantly improving there products. Talk to the techs a few weeks ago at leupold when I sent in a vx3 for reticle swap and the vx3I as we know has replaced the vx3s and they are clearer than the vx3's and cheaper. I have not looked thru one, but only thing I hate is that most times I go into a shop they only have the low end Vortex line. I have not looked thru the new diamondback lately or the crossfire. but I hunt till dark thirty as I hunt on my own land, so when I say I stay till dark, I stay past it. when my legal scope will not do the job I start glassing with my binos on full moon to see what I got trespassing on the land eating my crops, lol.. glad to hear some good news on vortex here. I called to get some info from the tech over at vortex while back and the dude sent me hats and decals..i was impressed and hated hearing some members had some warranty issues and I believe when returned they said the member mucked up the scope from the rings..I will buy a lifetime warranty once on anything if I feel the product is worthy. Been real happy with the brightness and clarity diamondbacks. good post and some good shooting. my 44 is a hole in one out to 75 yds on the lead sled....its my only rep I own to date in marlins. just don't tell no one,,but that and its cousin the 357 are just a bang of joy to shot around here when I feel like busting lose. take care

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey David!
I have one Diamondback scope, the 2.5-8x32 with AO on a Marlin lever action. Hard to tell the difference in the glass between the Diamondback and the Crossfire II scopes. I have a Crossfire II 2-7x35 scope that is not a scout scope and at the upper end the eye placement is crucial whereas the Diamondback is more forgiving. I have a couple Vortex Viper scopes that have really great glass as well. If it wasn't for the quality of the Vortex Crossfire II scout scopes and their price tag of $139-$149, I wouldn't have been that impressed with them and would have expected a Leupold or at least a Burris scout scope quality if Vortex charged the $350-$450 for their scout scope. What really impressed me was that I was buying a Leupold or Burris quality like scope for $139-$149 dollars.
I think with today's technologies in the optics field, Leupold has some great competition from newer companies like Vortex. And that is a good thing for us optics consumers as we get better performing optics at competitive prices.
Optic companies don't get a medal or a ribbon just for showing up and participating!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi there. I'm new and am in the process of fitting out my 336BL and am very interested in the Vortex scope you mentioned. I was about to place an order on Amazon, but came across a review where a guy said he mounted it on his Marlin with the XS rail and the eye relief was TOO long - that he needed a few more inches. That has me concerned, otherwise, I'd jump on the Crossfire II. It's maybe 5 oz heavier than the fixed Leupold IER, but offers some magnification, which would be nice.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The Vortex Crossfire II scout scope has it's pros and cons. If you like a low mounted scope that's as close to the receiver as possible, you wouldn't want this scope because of the larger eye piece. I use High Weaver Quad Rings and a Weaver 336 scout scope mount and I have no problems with the scope clearing the receiver. On the XS Rail scout scope mount I generally have to use the high Weaver "Extended" Quad rings so I do not have an eye relief issue.

Reactions: navajo
1 - 20 of 23 Posts