Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just making some 7.62X38R ammo & the Lee die set did not contain everything I needed. I wound up also using a Lee universal expander and a set of M1 carbine dies.

I bought them many years ago & had never used them. While they are in an old RCBS cardboard die box, they are actually Hollywood dies.

Pretty much impossible to tell when they were made, but when did Hollywood reloading equipment go out of biz? SW

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have visited that site in the past. It has a bundle of photos and info. I have seen only one Marlin tool. It was as close to mint (at least for me!) as possible for a tool its age. What a work of art!

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I found a reference to Hollywood dies by Phil Sharpe in the '51 Gun Digest. The company that offered the dies D.B.A. The Hollywood Gun Shop. I Have to read up some more- maybe the old Digests can give a clue as to when Hollywood packed it in....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
From what I've been able to find in the old G/D's:

From '51 ( My earliest G/D ) to the fall of '69, the did business as The Hollywood Gunshop. Frome late '69 to late '72, they did business as Hollywood Reloading. From late '72, they were taken over by Whitney Sales. There were a couple of address changes along the way too. I'll hafta plot everything out on pen and paper to give a complete breakdown. I have yet to completely track Whitney Sales....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Doc,

That helps! I got a small magnifier & saw 'Hollywood Gun' on the die preceeding the caliber, so that gives me a good idea. I remember seeing pics of Phil Sharpe & his huge Hollywood turret press in some old American Rifleman mags.

I also liked his "crow gun" - a 20mm Oerlikon- or something similar - towed it behind his old Willys CJ.

I've had these dies for many years & never noticed the make before. SW

1 - 6 of 6 Posts