Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello- I've found a 1957 336 in 35 Rem with the original box and manual. Down side is it has a scope mounted, and also has sling swivels installed (one in butt stock, one on barrel/forearm ring, and has a few marks in the wood. Asking price is $450. Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
25,166 Posts
Having a scope is not a downside on a 1957 model--Marlins were drilled and tapped for scopes by that point. My '57 336RC 35 Rem wears a Williams FP peep--but has the four receiver plug screws along the top. 450 bucks is a very good price compared to what I would have to pay locally. Beater 336C 30-30s from the 1980s are going for 500 bucks at my LGS.

·
Super Moderator
5,162 Posts
For what it's worth, that price is more than fair.
I have a 57 Texan in 35 rem.I wouldn't even consideletting it go
For a couple hundred more.
They dont make rifles like those older gems any more.
I would be all over it if I were you.

Reactions: duxnbucks

·
Registered
20,274 Posts
i wouldn't pay 1 cent more than $449.99! on second thought...:hmmmm: YES I WOULD! asking $450.00- offer $400.00! OTD!

·
Registered
964 Posts
WOW....well worth it in my mind.

·
Banned
3,908 Posts
Personally, I feel the grade of scope is the key factor in what price I would offer.
$400-$425 with a nice upper midgrade scope
$390 or less with a scope such as an Tasco worldclass or Simmons 8pt.

I realize my prices may appear low, however they reflect what a nice 336 sells for in my area.
Honestly, most of our local pawn/gun shops have no idea how to age a marlin, nor do they care.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
As long as the sling swivel in the but is in the correct place?, I'd say it's a fair deal.

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
That's a fair price!!!

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Actually, if the buyer prefers his Marlins without sling swivels, having it installed in the so called "wrong place" (the bullseye) would allow him to return it to stock easily by simply replacing the bullseye for all of about $3-$5. For that reason alone, I no longer criticize those who install the rear swivel in the bullseye.

Beats replacing the butt stock for ~ $100 and have it probably not match the fore end wood.

Just an observation....

By the way, gun store prices around here average $400-$500ish.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Actually, if the buyer prefers his Marlins without sling swivels, having it installed in the so called "wrong place" (the bullseye) would allow him to return it to stock easily by simply replacing the bullseye for all of about $3-$5. For that reason alone, I no longer criticize those who install the rear swivel in the bullseye.

Beats replacing the butt stock for ~ $100 and have it probably not match the fore end wood.

Just an observation....

By the way, gun store prices around here average $400-$500ish.
yep and plugs can be purchased here .. Dawei has them . simple directions to fitting them in How too section also..

·
Registered
672 Posts
Also remember those Bullseye mount jobs usually have only a couple of threads into real!

·
Registered
10,613 Posts
I'd say its a fair price, around these parts most don't know or have never heard of a 35Rem. I say go back and get it, heck offer him $400 never hurts to ask, but I'd give that much.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
About twenty years a go, I bought a 12 guage Winchester Model 12, lightly used from the fifties, still with the original box (and hang tags) which was in tatters. The ragged box easily added an extra $100 to $150 to the sell price I got for it.

The prices sounds good compared to our market.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts