Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 1895 Marlin that I have rebuilt. I believe it was made in 1899, but in any event, one of the original bunch of 95s. It was unshootable when I got it but looking better now. I have no way of knowing if the parts I have in it now are original - Many I have replaced, but others may have been replaced before I got it. Barrel, wood, mag tube, springs, and sights are new on my watch.

Recently, I have been getting "load 2" jam. I have read the fixes on this and I can see that it is possible that even these ancient Marlins may have suffered the problem. However, before I "fix" it, I want to understand it. Right now, I do not see what stops the second cartridge from entering the receiver when the first one slides out of the magazine, other than the first cartridge itself. The second cartridge pushes the first one, so there is no gap between them. This, the only thing that makes sense to me is that second cartridge is stopped when the first one slides back to hit the cartridge stop on the top of the carrier. For this to prevent the dreaded "load 2" jam, the cartridge would have to be 2.810" long - in other words as long as the shelf on the carrier.

I can't show a picture of it, but another critical measurement is the distance between the stop on the ejector and the stub of the barrel that protrudes into the ejection port. That distance is 2.783". Thus, an bullet that is long enough to prevent the second cartridge from loading down below is too long to eject if unfired up above.

I should mention that it is chambered in .45-70 with a conventional chamber reamer.

What am I missing?

While I'm at it, why does the carrier have that diagonal split-level top surface that carries the cartridge?

It shows some potential to shoot, but I need to get cartridges to cycle properly too.

Thanks for your time and help.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts