Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone is looking to download their 45-70 and can't find Trailboss, this Tin Star powder seems to be very similar. I loaded a few starting at 12.5gr up to 15gr with a 405gr bullet and shot them thru my 1895G. Very mild recoil (almost none). Got the best 50yd group with 15gr.

I bought 4lbs earlier this year for $15/lb to load for a Redhawk 44 magnum, but after reading the Feb issue of Handloader Magazine, thought I'd try it in 45-70...did what I wanted it to do so I plan to work with it some more.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
The VV powders were prevalent around these parts some months ago?, now they are the hard to get ones!?, and I've yet to see the "Tin Star" flavor yet?

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At the time I bought it, it was the only powder in stock at Recobs. Has, so far, been a silver lining to this powder shortage cloud...

·
Registered
225 Posts
Thanks for an alternate powder info. I've used Unique around 13gr for punchin' holes. My wife couldn't believe she was shooting so well.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
I've been experimenting with Tin Star in my 30-30 and 450 and have been having good luck with it using loads very similar to my Trail Boss loads. Hope to get them over the chronograph soon. Gives a little extra case capacity versus trail boss and is super mild with regard to recoil.

·
Banned
651 Posts
I put 17.0 grains of trail boss over the chrony and was averaging 1200 feet per second. Wasn't shooting paper though but clay pigeons on the berm at 105 yards. Was hitting them for sure as my friend was watching through the spotting scope. Oh the bullets were laser cast 300 grain with ox-yoke wonder wads over the powder to cut down on leading. Will be cleaning rifle today to see if the wads made my job easier. I practically live in Hodgdon's back yard so Trail Boss is readily available.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I put 17.0 grains of trail boss over the chrony and was averaging 1200 feet per second. Wasn't shooting paper though but clay pigeons on the berm at 105 yards. Was hitting them for sure as my friend was watching through the spotting scope. Oh the bullets were laser cast 300 grain with ox-yoke wonder wads over the powder to cut down on leading. Will be cleaning rifle today to see if the wads made my job easier. I practically live in Hodgdon's back yard so Trail Boss is readily available.
I've not had any leading issues yet, with hot or plinker loads. I've shot only the .459 Oregon Trail 405gr bullets so far, and they seem to work very well, and are reasonably priced. Never tried (or heard of) wonder wads...might be useful in my Redhawk which leads up if within 10 feet of a cast bullet.

·
Registered
27 Posts
If anyone is looking to download their 45-70 and can't find Trailboss, this Tin Star powder seems to be very similar. I loaded a few starting at 12.5gr up to 15gr with a 405gr bullet and shot them thru my 1895G. Very mild recoil (almost none). Got the best 50yd group with 15gr.

I bought 4lbs earlier this year for $15/lb to load for a Redhawk 44 magnum, but after reading the Feb issue of Handloader Magazine, thought I'd try it in 45-70...did what I wanted it to do so I plan to work with it some more.
Hi Jlr,

do you use wadding or filling material? Or do you just dump the powder in the case?

cu
Tom

1 - 8 of 8 Posts