Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I'm a new owner of an 1894 in .44 magnum. My action is smooth, but the initial lever break is very rough, enough to pull it from my shoulder from time to time. After searching and reading here, it looks like the best way to adjust this is to de-burr the finger lever plunger and then, if necessary, remove a little coil from the plunger spring.

My problem? I cannot, for the life of me, get that pin out of there. I don't have a steel pin punch of the correct size, so I used my dremel and sized out a small torx bit to the correct size. She just is not moving. Any tips or tricks I should know about?

I appreciate any help!

Thanks!

·
Contributing Member
11,599 Posts
Welcome to MO.

I'm not a big fan of cutting springs. Not necessarily a bad thing but I prefer other methods when available.

You can sand that plunger, while it is in the lever, and likely achieve the desired results.

Have a look through this thread: http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,58735.0.html

Take your time and don't expect to make it perfect the first time out. It can take a few times.

If you really want to get the plunger out, try soaking it in a penetrating oil and a little heat and tapping with a hammer can help too.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I must have an easy one, got my pin out the other day using a small nail for the punch. My lever was dropping, had to hold it up. Before that I put the lever from my newer 1894CSS in the gun and it locked up perfectly. Tried stretching out the spring on the older gun and it didn't help so I ordered a new plunger, spring, and pin from Numrich for the older gun, should be getting the parts in a few days which should correct the problem.

·
Registered
567 Posts
one end of that pin is sorta 'knarled' and fits tight.

its USUALLY (but not always) the side to the right.

In other words, hold the lever in your hand like its on the rifle. The pin NORMALLY knocks out from left to right, assuming the knarlled end if facing the right.

As mentioned above, soak it alittle in some good penatrant oil.

It wasn't but a couple days ago that I posted on the SASS Wire a complete instructional method to help set these little boogers up better.

Best regards

..........Widder

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the quick replies, all. I took a stone to the plunger as recommended in the thread posted under mine. It took a while but it's much easier now. I'm going to put a bunch of rounds through it and see how it works for me. I may take off a little more, but it seems good right now.

In an unrelated question, do replacement levers come with the plunger, spring, and pin? Since it's called and "assembly" I'm thinking it does, but I figured I'd ask.

Thanks again for the info.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Everything on a marlin comes out on the same side, front sight,back sight, empty shell casings, and the dumb pin in the lever.
The trick is to get a helper to push in the plunger,while you push out the pin. After that go down to ace hardware and buy the spring labelled #1. Cut the spring to the same length as the original,follow widder's instructions on marauder's website about smoothing the plunger & you will be good to go. Last time I bought one of those springs it was 50 cents , mite be up to 75 cents by now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts