Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a marlin 1895ss 45/70 now I have been told that I can not use the heavy ammo such as Corbin or buffalo bore in it cause it's not strong enough. Any clarification would help! I plan on black bear hunting in Pa.

·
Premium Member
2,912 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
I'm pretty sure you can shoot it in your Guide Gun.

I'm very sure you don't want to.

If you do, make sure your dental insurance is up to date. Yer gonna need it.

Any over the counter 45-70 ammo will do for black bears.

·
Registered
85 Posts
You can shoot it out of a guide gun. I shoot the 430 buffalo bore out of mine on a regular basis. Can beat the heavy lead on a brownie or black bear I love it.

·
Super Moderator
2,345 Posts
When it comes to "heavy/hot" ammo, whether it's in a long gun or handgun, I will use it but not on a regular basis. Settle on what you want for a particular hunt/situation, make sure it cycles and hits ok, then use it for that occasion. Sort of like defensive ammo, you make sure it functions without issue but you don't use it all the time for practice.

·
Registered
85 Posts
When it comes to "heavy/hot" ammo, whether it's in a long gun or handgun, I will use it but not on a regular basis. Settle on what you want for a particular hunt/situation, make sure it cycles and hits ok, then use it for that occasion. Sort of like defensive ammo, you make sure it functions without issue but you don't use it all the time for practice.
I don't use it for practice or anything but when I'm out in the bush I make sure it's in there. I have taken a few brown bears with it and wouldn't want anything else in the chamber for an animal that large.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
You may already know this, some others may not, but forty-five seventy ammunition is generally loaded to three pressure “levels”. In brief:

1.) Springfield 1873 (Trapdoor) level: low pressure (that is Black Powder pressure) loading to safely fire in original and reproductions black powder firearms. Winchester, Remington, and Federal .45-70 ammunition is loaded to this level.

2.) Marlin & Winchester 1886 level: loaded to pressure levels that will not exceed the strength of Marlin and the Winchester or Browning 1886 rifles. Unsafe for trapdoor level rifles.

3.) Ruger No. 1 and No. 3: High pressure loadings.

When in doubt, consult a reloading manual, the ammunition or rifle manufacturer.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Used Buffalo Bore on a Brown Bear and it was fine. Recoil is much more than the Green Box 405 grain and more than the plastic tip stuff but the penetration and stop is much more. I have seen two straight stock Marlin crack while shooting the BB 500 grain but all the others I shoot in both my Marlin and an extra light 1886 just fine.

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
Ive shot only 405gr and now 430gr cast boolits thru my 1895, at 1750fps, still within spec, andnot even elk or moose stand a chance.
Ive always used an odd six for bear, I like to givem half a chance, the 45/70 would just smackem down, like the bigger critters.
We only have wee brownies around here.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I shot some Buffalo Bore loads in my Guide Gun years ago, hurt my shoulder so I quit using them. I checked the GG pretty carefully, no damage! If I was camping in bear country, I would want a GG with Buffalo Bores or an equivalent for my load, shoulder can heal in time. I have an aversion to being turned into bear scat!
FM

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
I guess I feel that while really hot loads are nice and all, there really is no need for them. So, why take the risk of having your Marlin go kaboom. Black powder 45-70's were used to shoot buffalo, for cryin' out loud. A standard factory load 45-70 should have no trouble killing anything a person is likely to encounter.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I know this question depends a lot on the individual shooter, but is the ability to get off a second shot more likely with 'normal' factory loads than with the stuff from Buffalo Bore or super hot hand loads?

·
Registered
882 Posts
I don't think id feel comfortable coming across a grizzly here in the bush with a factory load.
Amen to that. The OP specified PA blackbears. I stand by my previous comment and would hunt them with any factory offering my rifle shot well.

With the magnum bears I would require bigger, harder, and faster.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts