Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
had a friends M14 to repair, and then sight in...thought youse guys would like to slobber a minute.....THE weapon of choice for battle! this is her.....and this is what she does at 150yds with service ammo!!! :shock:
H&R manufacture....don't know the year.....had to give it back already! :cry:

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
That brings back a few memories! We qualified on those at Camp LeJeune but before we went overseas, we had to trade them in for M16s. What a rotten trade! SW

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
When I went into the USAF in '69, they had already converted everything to M16's, so we never got to shoot the M14 in basic. Not knowing any better, I thought the M16 was a great gun, even if it did look like a toy gun! :shock:

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
We got our M16s and an 'old school' E7 complained bitterly that the M16 was just too flimsy to bayonet anybody with. And I thought: "We are going to need bayonets"??? :shock: Ain't that why air strikes were invented??? SW

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Our armorer told us not to worry about things like guns! He reminded us we were Air Force, and we'd not likely need a gun again after bootcamp! :shock:
Funny thing was he was right! Once we qualified in bootcamp, I never saw another M16 until I got to my first duty station. Arrived there just in time for annual qualification, and was told not to go, since I just left basic. :cry: A year later, the Air Force dropped the whole annual qualification thing, and I never fired a gun again in the service! This was a source of major disappointment for me!

·
Registered
201 Posts
The only thing we had were M-1's and M-1 carbines. All the fancy stuff came much later. I did have a "Grease Gun" on most of the heavy equipment if you want to call it a "Fancy".

DG

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
one more thought.........

being of weak mind and body......i wouldn't want to carry her around, as fully loaded, and with a few mags to spare....hits the scale at 10LBS +! :shock:
IF i had to "diddy-bop" this thing for ANY time....i would be MAD enough to shoot SOMETHING!!!!!! :x :twisted:

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
I have a good friend who fought in WWII, using the M1 Garand, and M1 carbines. He told me a funny story long ago about his preference for battle rifles!
Seems when the fighting got heavy they really loved their Garands, but as soon as it lightened up, they would look for someone who had been wounded, and grab their M1 carbine. They carried that until the next battle, and grabbed another Garand as soon as things got hairy again!

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Grease gun? Heck yes! Carried one of those a bit! :wink:

Kaintuck,

If you had a pressing reason, you would soon not mind humping the thing all day! Besides, even if you had an M16, there would still be other stuff to hump - belts of MG ammo - water - mortar rounds - water - claymores... did I mention lots o' water? :wink: SW

·
Registered
201 Posts
Carried a M-1 Garand and a M-1 carbine at one time or another. Funny thing as long as you were shooting at something and it wasn't shooting back the carbine was great and the ammo is lighter, but if that something was shooting back the carbines got scarce. And a Grease Gun didn't do much of anything except "Piss Someone Off".

DG

·
Registered
394 Posts
Shipboard armories are well stocked with M-14 rifles. When I was a fledgling Seaman back in '79, I found a selector switch for one in our spare parts box. That little round knob on the right side of the receiver is held on with an itty bitty spring pin. Remove the pin and stud, replace it with the selector switch and pin, and you are ready to have full auto excitement at 750 RPM (cyclic rate)! I think the whole operation took 5 minutes. I have seen quite a few Winchester M-14s, with the rest being H&Rs. The Army didn't have them for very long, so all the ones I saw were in excellent, if not new, condition.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I seem to recall being issued a TRW M-14, but that was a long time ago & I could be wrong. I for sure drilled with a Smith-Corona 03A3 in boot, though. SW

·
Registered
394 Posts
'Hogger,
That M-3 'Greasegun' your holding......is it the older version with the charging handle, or the newer version with the thumbhole in the bolt? Also, is that a 45 holster on the web belt over your right shoulder?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts