Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all! I'm new to the forum, and quite honestly fairly new to firearms. My wife has just inherited a 1950 Marlin 39A, and I'm trying to determine the value.

I've taken it to a local gun shop, where they said it was in "great" condition (bluing looks great, no rust, no pitting, wood and finish very good, operates well) and not refinished. They also valued it at only $300-400 because "so many of these were made." I trust that they honestly believe this, but don't quite trust that they know of what they speak.

I'm posting because my online research suggests that a 1950 (serial number starts with "G") 39A is likely worth more than they suggest--maybe double? On the other hand, there are plenty of conflicting opinions.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Is there anything in particular I should post regarding the gun? Would photos help?

·
Premium Member
9,845 Posts
Current price of Federal Bulk at Wally World 15.95 -- curent price of a new model 39 about $600 -- price of an inherited 1950 39A PRICELESS! They're way low on what it's worth, but if you wanna sell it for that, count me IN:biggrin: You have a really fine rifle that will last for many more years! My 2 cents. Photos would help, but wouldn't change my opinion much! I wouldn't let it go for any price! John

·
Registered
514 Posts
depending on who you inherited it from. like the man said PRICELESS. I will give you this advise... KEEP IT.......

·
Premium Member
5,417 Posts
You can visit web sites eg; Gunbroker, GunsAmerica, Grabagun, etc, check completed auctions for a good idea of going values.
Your 39a is and always will be, worth considerably more that you have invested, and I'd say it i worth more than the estimate.

·
Premium Member
13,991 Posts
Agree with the above answers. I believe the price you have been quoted is low for that rifle if it is in that kind of shape. Considering the price of a new 39A (made by Remington) which does not measure up to the same quality as the older Marlins, I for one would pay up to the same price as a new one if I were in the market for another 39A. I'd for sure rather have a good condition 1950 39A than a new one. That said, like anything else, it is probably worth what the buyer is willing to pay. I'd keep it. Forever. Pass it on to my kids and their kids. You have what sounds like a fine firearm there. P.S. Although I would take it off your hands for $300! :biggrin:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I should clarify...we're absolutely keeping this lovely 39A!

That said, for the purposes of valuing the estate, understanding "what we've got here", and managing some family politics, I really do need to figure out what it would likely sell for.

@48vintage, I'll do some searching on those sites, thank you.

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
That said, for the purposes of valuing the estate, understanding "what we've got here", and managing some family politics, I really do need to figure out what it would likely sell for.
Understood. For those purposes, $400 should be sufficient.

If, after the smoke clears, you decide to insure it, a value of $600 would be more in line. "Priceless" is not in the lexicon of the insurance companies, but an inherited firearm certainly qualifies for the title. To many of us, a closer connection to lost loved ones doesn't exist.

Roe

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, @Barenjager!

To be sure you and I are on the same page, you tend to believe it would be fairly easy to get $400 for this gun, and challenging to get $500? Thanks to the "family politics" aspect of this, I need to be able to quote a realistic sales price with a straight face, and have no interest in under- or over-valuing it.

Put another way, if I post some photos on this forum that document well that this 1950 39A isn't mint, but is in excellent and original condition, would someone give me $800 for it? $600? Or would I really get just $400?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
On Gunbroker.com, I was able to find three (3) 39A's from 1950-52 (pre-Micro-Groove) that had sold, and three (3) more that had bids, but fell short of reserve. The six prices average together to $503, which seems like pretty decent evidence of a real-world (online, anyway) value of $500.

I'm tending toward mashing together what's been said here with that evidence to draw these conclusions: at $400 it would be a quick sale; I could get $500 if I bothered to make an effort and take some great photos; and I might get $550 or $600 if it really is as nice as I think it is and I'm in the right place at the right time talking to the right person.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
877 Posts
$400 it would be a quick sale, I could get $500 if I bothered to make an effort and take some great photos, and might get $550 or $600 if it really is as nice as I think it is and I'm in the right place at the right time talking the right person.
You are correct, and accurate in that thinking. A collector may give you the $600 value if it is totally original, in fine condition, and he/she has a need for that variation... Likely not a "quick" sale for you; at a $400 "buy it now" price, you wouldn't wait 15 minutes on line ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the help, everyone. I'm satisfied with this answer, but if anyone disagrees with $400-600 for my 1950 Marlin 39A, I'd love to hear it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts