Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all,

I've got a gentleman interested in my carbine. What value would you consider this gun to be worth? I hate to say it, but it isn't getting used, so down the road it goes. Also, what is the significance of a JM stamp?

Thanks.

·
Registered
736 Posts
JM could mean "Jap Made" and you could be about to pawn an inferior Marlin off on a "Gentleman".
I collect some JM (Jap Made) rifles so if you would send me a PM maybe I could take the rifle off your hands and make everyone happy.
BTW what year of manufacture is your rifle?

·
Registered
325 Posts
I have no experience with that particular model, but around these parts without the JM most people won't touch em.. JM means it was actually made by Marlin before the Remington take over. 2007-2008 ish I think. Basically Remington.. struggles.. to come close to matching the quality of the JM stamped ones.

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
JM is the proofmark made by Marlin, the Real Marlin not like now being made by Reminton with REP proofmark and MR ser#.
Prices are all over the place, but figure roughly $550~$700 ballpark depending on condition.

Do you have pics to get a better idea?

BloodGroove4570

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jap Made? and you haven't been runndoft yet? Thanks MJA. I knew is was pre-Cerebus. It was made in 1996. I see another on Gbroker and the starting price is @1200 bux. No bids, imagine that. I'll have to let the Gent I've started talking to have first crack. Although my first inclination on the value may turn up low.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Sorry GoWyo. I figured it would be obvious quickly that my tongue was firmly in my cheek. I see humorous use of Jap Made for JM on this site all the time. Notice I used the word "could" not "is". My favorite Marlin is my JM 1894 S and I would welcome another.....or two......or three.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No worries Billy Jack, I knew you were joking around. The little I did shoot this, it showed promise for accuracy. I have two other .44 carbines, a Model 92 Browning that was brass tacked (indian style by an actual indian) and a old model ruger auto. The Ruger's been carried a few times on brush busting whitetails, but I have yet to kill any with it. The Marlin was just too nice to jump in the willows with it. The Browning was purchased on a whim. Tacks and give away price ($200), who could say no?

·
Registered
736 Posts
There is a Ruger Carbine presently for sale at one of the local stores here in Lubbock. But they are asking about $850 for it and although I haven't researched it, that seems high to me.

For what it's worth I tried 300 gr bullets in mine even though everyone said the 1 in 38 twist wouldn't shoot them.
Well, they were right. They key holed in the target. However it is very accurate with 260 gr WFN cast bullets sized to .432".

The deer hanging in my photo below was killed last season with my 1894. He never made it out of my sight.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow! I've seen them online for @600 which seems steep. I picked mine up @ 6 years ago for 450 in great shape. shows the crap state of the US dollar and impending start of hyperinflation.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.