Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m hoping to get some insight on to the value of a 1960 Marlin 336SC in 30-30? I’m very interested in the rifle but would want to know if I should be worried about buying a 60 year rifle? I want to use
for everyday hunting or brush defense.

Attachments

·
Registered
534 Posts
I won't peg a valve, but can tell you the gun would be classified as a shooter and not a collector. Screw slots are burred, but the major issue is that the butt stock has been replaced; can't tell if the stock is after-market, or possibly from a Glenfield model. At any rate, the 336SC hasn't been cataloged since 1963 and there are those who collect the older SC models. Good luck

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hey G, welcome from central fl! If you’re looking for accuracy and reliability, most of the time you can’t go wrong with the 336sc. I’m blessed to have 3 sc models and a 336a, and they are all quite accurate and trouble free. The 1953 336sc I have, in 32 win special is the most accurate rifle out of 30 long guns I own👍 Clean up your barrel REAL good, and try some rem corelokt 170gr and I think you’ll be happy 😃

·
Super Moderator
7,377 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Reactions: utvolsfan77

·
Registered
294 Posts
I’m hoping to get some insight on to the value of a 1960 Marlin 336SC in 30-30? I’m very interested in the rifle but would want to know if I should be worried about buying a 60 year rifle? I want to use
for everyday hunting or brush defense.
Guns only have 2 enemies, rust and politicians. They are like fine wine and only get sweeter with age. I hunt with 2 rifles that are over 100 years old and they shoot straight and look good. If a rifle has been taken care of and that rifle appears to have been it will give you a lifetime of good service.

·
Registered
827 Posts
That rifle was or has been somebody else's go to rifle for a number of years. If the bore looks good and it feeds and functions properly I am certain it would make a fine deer hunter. I would guess that is a Boyds replacement but stock. To me it would come down to price. I would be in for about $400. Leaves room to justify searching and paying for a replacement factory but stock or seeing if Boyds has a matching forearm.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Welcome from Pennsylvania!!

Reactions: utvolsfan77

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
That 1960 Marlin will be a fine shooter. You can't go wrong with the 30-30win....good round for deer and pig hunting.....very good for self protection....
The butt stock looks like a replacement...not original.
It is easy to find a used correct, walnut butt stock...but you may have to pay $100 to 150.
My Guess on value is $500. Due to condition.
Happy shooting....

·
Registered
294 Posts
One of my favorite stalking rifles is a 100 year old Mannlicher Schoenauer model 1905 in9x56ms. Last loaded on the US in the 1930’s. My other favorite still hunting rifle is a Remington model 14 pump rifle in 30 remington loaded into the 1950’s. You gotta love the classics. They still work as they always have without the need of a belt or 3000 fps. Filling the larder and putting smiles on their owners faces. Don’t discount the classics as there are very good reasons they achieved such status.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts