Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys.
I have inherited from my pa-in law and beautiful model 93 but it has been totally refinished. I know that the refinish pretty well kills the collector value but it has to have some value I'm sure. Anyway...The bore is mint, obviuosly no scratches, dings anywhere. The wood to metal finish is perfect and all lettering is still very clear and deep. The bluing is the nicest I've ever seen on any gun anywhere. They mirror polished it before bluing. It was done by a very renowned gunsmith which I'm sure some of you have heard of. He deals mostly in 1911 race guns but does alot of plating and finisheing too. It's Bob Cogan of Cogan's Custom raceguns and also owner of Accurate Plating and Weaponry. Now this was done thirty years ago and he did it himself before he got so big and busy according to my father inlaw. I can attach pictures if needed and I'm hoping I could get some ballpark figures as to it's value. The serial # is 5###C. It has straight grip walnut buttstock, It looks to have a 20" barrel and matching length magazine tube. On the barrel marked Patent, oct. 11 1887, april 2 1889Aug 1 1893Special Smokeless Steel, Top of reciever says Marlin Safety, Rear sight is a vnotch with a sliding elevator, front sight is a brass blade pinned between two steel pieces that appear to be on a dovetail in the barrelsteel crescent buttplate. The caliber is not stamped but Joe says it's a 30/30. I imagine this thing would bring a good sum from someone who wanted it for Cowboy action! It really is perfect, I can't find one blemish anywhere!
Thanks,
A-man

·
Registered
719 Posts
$$$$$$$

sentimental value aside....about $600-$800? the front sight should be a german silver? to original...andi believe it should be stamped 30-30 at ttte breach end of the barrel....or at least 30WCF :p :p :p

picture will do best.....along with the good discription you gave~as if it is a special model.....mm93 and hogger can tell you more... :wink:

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
The early Marlins were very lightly stamped at the caliber marking. The rest the barrel rollstamps were heavier for some reason, and usually survived the woes of polishing in a reblue.
Not unusual for the caliber marking to go away in the process, but close inspection with a highpower loop may show some signs of it at the top flat in the chamber area.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts