Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Excellent condition and like the subject line says - steel - not aluminum. What do you think they bring on the resale market without the original box? $50 - $70?

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
I'll give you $70 for it right now! ;)

If it was mine, I wouldn't sell it. But if you do I'd recomend an auction where the right folks would see it. The Aluminum ones go for upwards of $70. Ebay may or may not get you a good selling price depending on who saw it.

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
That's cheaper than I see them for at gun shows around here. DP

·
Administrator
23,807 Posts
Ha Dingus said:
Excellent condition and like the subject line says - steel - not aluminum. What do you think they bring on the resale market without the original box? $50 - $70?
Try double that. Model 57?

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
vintage 66la for a 336.......$100

I have one but not sure if I´d sell it for that much or not.

·
Banned
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input guys.

I just checked and it is a steel 66LA.

I got it last Sunday at a small one-day show. It came attached to a closet queen 336. Actually a closet queen 336A. To be a little more precise, a closet queen 336A with an F prefix serial number and waffle-top receiver that has not been D&T.

Still has the old round sight cover. As if that isn't good news enough, it's a
-
-
-
-
-
32 SPECIAL ;D
I know you'll want pics but probably can't get those up until the weekend. She's a beauty though. Like the other 49 vintage Marlins I've seen it has a stock as thick as your wrist at the grip. Almost like a palm swell. Certainly gives the gun a whole different feel.

I broke my $300 limit on this one though. But if the sight is worth $100 I ended up paying $360 for the 336A. I figured condition and caliber made the price right. No regrets though.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Classic sight for a classic rifle. I bought a more recent 336A last month...been looking for a clean shooter grade for awhile at a price I could afford. The 24 inch barrel and half magazine just looks and feels right. It is ALMOST as nice as my 30/30 Cowboy rifle.

The steel LYMANS are the ones I BUY, not SELL.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
Ha Dingus, PM me with a price if you want to sell, or I can trade a NIB 57 (I think,) for a Mauser, Springfield, Remington that I have had for 30 years + or -. Good day, Jack

PS. I will be out of pocket Sat. through about Tue. jt

·
Registered
459 Posts
How does one tell if it is steel? I am trading off a like new circa 1990 1894 tomorrow. The Lyman sight seems to lightly attract my fridge magnet, which is one of those super duper rare earth magnets from an old hard drive. As lightly as it attracts the barrel. Not sure if it is attracted to the sight, screw, receiver or ?????

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
Some of the internal parts are still steel. One should be able to tell by looking at the finish. Steel ones were blued. Alunimum ones are annodized. Of the alunimum ones, IMO the Williams is far better-no wiggle. You could remove the elevator and check the base (off the rifle.) Should be able to determine magnatism. Best Wishes, Jack

1 - 12 of 12 Posts