Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is an average price for a 444 made in 1967?

The one I am looking at has not been cared for and apparently has not been used in some time. Exterior metal finish is free from major tarnish, no rust, no pits, but not a deep, shiny blue, either. The wood almost looks unfinished but I think that is the result of the years on the finish they used back then. No visual evidence of water damage, gouges, cracks or other defects. There is some surface rust visible in the action but it looks like a good clean and lube will take care of it. I have not looked in the bore.

I am pretty sure this is a gun that has simply sat unused and uncared for for a very long time prior to ending up in the local pawn shop. The price on the tag is $479 IIRC.

Ranch Dog wrote earlier this year on the Big Bore forum, "I'm such a 444 nut, I've actually tracked the prices on the 444. Prices on the auction sites for the early, pre-1972 rifles have averaged $390 over the last two years."

I am thinking this is a gun worth "restoring" if I can get it for $300 - $350. What do you think regarding a fair price?

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I had about come to $350 as my absolute top price.

It's not like I need it. :) I was just thinking it would be fun to clean it up and mount a scope on it for long range work. After all it has a 24" barrel so that cuts down the range by at least 2". :lol:

Then I would leave my 444S set up with iron sights for prowling the pole patches.

I've been trying to develop rapport with the shop owner. She is a very pleasant lady and runs the shop herself. I gave her a copy of how to date Marlins by Ser. #, she knows I have "announced" some of her guns on line, etc.

We'll see.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts