Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! Came across a Glenfield 30a in very good condition on the used rack at a LGS. SN begins with 22. It has the stocks of the early versions with the pressed image. No safety. I know everybody says this, but it looks like it lived in a gun safe all it’s life. Bluing is good, no pitting, bore sharp and clean, stocks with a few minor dings, etc., the scope is clear.

He wants around $650 for it. Seems high to me. Gunbroker only has some well-used models in the $300-350 range listed.

Thoughts??

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That’s what I was thinking. Thanks. I believe the scope was one of the ones that came on the gun back in the day.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gotcha. I plan to tell him it’s true value and see if he’s willing to budge that much.

·
Registered
6,830 Posts
You can try. But asking price is already way too high. Really doubt he'll drop it by half. He'd have to drop it to 300.00 or less to make it a "deal".

Gun store owners typically have a good idea of the going prices for used fire arms. They have Bluebook too. If they're not good about valuing used gun prices, they don't stay in business long.

Pawn Shop owners try to sell for 2-3x what they paid for fire arms, and they usually have more room to work with prices, since they pay so little on the buy end.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I believe the scope is probably one that Marlin put on some of the guns. Brophy pictures these with scopes. I didn’t look at it too carefully since that wasn’t my interest. It is a single power, probably a 4x.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Every one I end up with has a cheap Bushnell or Tasco on it with see thru mounts Lol, most I remove and add to the pile. Most of the good scopes get removed and sold separetely, before they sell the rifle.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I haven’t made it back to the LGS yet. Gonna go by after Christmas and see if it’s still there, and have a friendly conversation about the 30A’s value. Wish me luck!

At the least I’ll grab some photos to prove it exists! I know the rules!

Reactions: gunscrewguy

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have never seen a Royal Canadian M336. I take it this was the only caliber - .35 Rem - this rare Marlin came in. Love to see a photo.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts