Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All First time posting

I grew up in new Haven Ct and have a been a lifelong Marlin owner and Hunter

One of my best friends in high school was the son of Rob Rohr Sr, who was the repair division manager for years in North Haven

When the 1895 came out in 1972, I got one of the first production guns off the line SN BO 0000205

Rob Jr, my friend, got 206

Supposedly, the first 4 were used for proof testing and for the archives of the company.

(side note - I also got one of the first 120 shotguns and a 1894 44mag with an octagon barrel)

I want to leave these for my children

Any idea of the value of the 1895?

The gun is probably 98% with only a few rounds put through it

Thanks

·
Registered
845 Posts
About a month ago, saw two BO 1895's on Gunbroker. One was a little more beat up, went for $661, and another that was in very good shape went for $950. Kind of a big range, but depends on the demand at the time and condition. I'd think yours, being in nearly new condition and a low serial number, would be on the higher end as it would be more of a collector's piece than a shooter's piece.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
there are two on GB right now......one day auctions runing over and over and over and over.....

sellers are asking over 950.00 for each one. Way overpriced in my mind.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Yeah, they saw how much the one went for and decided that's what they all should be worth. Heh...I'm also seeing a Cabela's limited edition 1895 CBA selling for $1999 Buy Now price...last I saw, they are still selling them for $790 at Cabela's, and this guy is touting it as a "very rare" Marlin (but it's a Remlin). Anything to make a fast buck on unsuspecting buyers.

·
Registered
11,599 Posts
I can't recall all of the details, but remember reading something that the early 1895 45-70's had "8" micro-grooves instead of the "12" they changed to shortly after, and kinda' added to the collector interest. Perhaps that may affect the values as well to those in the know, or certain collectors for historical interest that want one? I think it was those B0 s/n's, seems to ring a bell, but would have to research that barrel/groove history data info again...?

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
Rare doesn't automatically equate to more valuable. Unless you are trying to complete some sort of "set".

AZ is right, the early barrels were 8 microgroove and later were changed to 12 groove.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts