Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a chance to pick up a 1979 1894 in .357 for $350. Tomarrow morning is the earliest I could look at it.The owner says it has a few marks in the stock and a spot of light rust on the barrel.He's 45 min. away, and gas over $4, is it worth the drive? I see on gunbroker they are going $500 and up.

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
I'd make the trip to check it out. If it looks like a rifle you would want to own, talk him down the "gas" money amount due to rust, etc.

bjm

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
marlin444 said:
I have a chance to pick up a 1979 1894 in .357 for $350. Tomarrow morning is the earliest I could look at it.The owner says it has a few marks in the stock and a spot of light rust on the barrel.He's 45 min. away, and gas over $4, is it worth the drive? I see on gunbroker they are going $500 and up.
I would drive further even.. Remember on GB, once you "win" the bid then comes other costs, FFL fees and shipping and insurance.

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
I do know that folks that are wanting 1894s in 357 are having a tough time finding them. Supply vs demand.

·
Premium Member
18,026 Posts
I'd drive over for a look, and if it's too beat up, try to talk him down a bit. $350 isn't bad at all, for a gun with a little history.

·
Premium Member
13,618 Posts
papajohn said:
I'd drive over for a look, and if it's too beat up, try to talk him down a bit. $350 isn't bad at all, for a gun with a little history.
Good price unless it’s a truck gun (all beat up). I wish I could find em in that price range around here....... Go look, won't cost ya more than $8 in gas unless you're driving an F350 ;D Costs me $9 to get into the local gun show.

Good luck and please let us know what you find out. Maybe pictures if you bring it home!

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
If I had the $350 and it was in any kind of shape at all, it would follow me home. But then I like 357 rifles.

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
If it is in reasonably good condition you could always buy it, clean it up a bit and post a "for sale" ad here. In west Texas any marlin in reasonable condition starts at $375. The 1894s at about $440. Shenandoah

·
Registered
701 Posts
Unless it is really a beater, $350 is a DEAL! You can't find a used 357 around Saint Louie very often. A 44 is a bit easier to find, but I've only seen a couple used in the last year or so...NO 357s!

·
Registered
253 Posts
I 2nd what Shenandoah says. Here in S.TX $350 is a steal for an 1894 in any condition, 45mins is just around the corner. I'd snag it, put a box thru it and if I didnt like it, it would be worth at least $450 in trade at a gun show. But thats me!

·
Premium Member
2,833 Posts
I'd take a chance and go out there. If it isn too bad with a little work a presafety model will bring some good money.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I imagine all of us have thrown away more (gas money in this case) for a lot less (possibility of picking up a great gun at a great price). Go ahead and roll the dice.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts