Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
While mine is a 38-55 I can say that I really like it. I would take one in a 45-70 in a heartbeat. Forgot exactly what I paid for mine but it was well over a thousand.

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
Sparky is on the money. They seem to start at about $1000 on GB, but usually end up quite a bit higher. The one you have pictured looks very clean and I wouldn't be surprised to see it sell for $1300 to $1400.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I had one of the early version listed as the B-78. Good shooter, but recoil was heavy as mine had the crescent butt plate. I had trouble working the hammer with gloves and a scope.
One of John Browning's best designs as far as function and durability.

·
Registered
30 Posts
These guns are very good shooters.
I just bought one in .223. The Browning I bought is known as the low wall built in 1998. Paid $900. Came with the Burris scope base installed so thought it was a fair price and because it was someones safe queen. Would I buy it again, sure would.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
I also had a B-78 in .45-70. Like another posted, it was a handful. Sold it off to someone who needed it more than I did.

The B-78 was the first of the “recent” Browning M1885 re-introductions and several other variants followed, including Winchester.

Very accurate rifles, but – and there always is a “but”, the triggers are atrocious and the action is very difficult to take down.

Gunsmith Lee Shaver, can lighten the triggers, if you send the trigger mechanism off to him. He did a few of my Browning M1885 triggers and the triggers break about 3 lbs. http://stores.leeshavergunsmithing.com/

Also you cannot add a hammer extension if needed.

Except for the Browning M1885 BPCR series (Black Powder Cartridge Rifle series), the action does not have an upper tang.

Wayne Mclerran wrote the book on the Browning BPCR M1885 rifles. Some might find it useful: TexasMac's Web Site - Browning BPCR Book & Items for sale, Articles

Loiblb: I also have a Browning low wall .223. Found that you cannot hurry your shooting as that pencil thin barrel will heat up very fast.

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
Hey Ray Newman.......
I purchased my 40-65 Browning BPCR from Wayne Mclerran. He does know the 1885's inside and out. The BPCR models are quite a bit heavier than the standard rifles, which helps with the recoil. Also the straighter stock and shotgun butt help tame the recoil when shooting from a bench. Oh yeah, I bought his book too. It's an awesome reference for both Winchester and Browning models.

Edit Add...I forgot to mention if shopping for the BPCR model be perpared to buck up quite a bit more cash, however it should include the Browning tang and globe sight set.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
City Slicker: the .40-65 is a good little shooter and an added benefit is that the brass is easily formed from .45-70. When I was shooting mine, it was the cat's meow at 200 yards with a Leopold 3-9 'scope. Since the action is bloody near impossible to take down, I loaded it with XMP5744 instead of black powder. Bought two of them at a close out. Just can't believe how much the BPCR has increased in value. 'Shoulda' bought a .45-90 Creedmoor when they were on close out.

Wayne is solid guy to deal with. A few years ago, I bought a .45-70 BPCR, which is now being re-barreled with the same barrel contour to a .30-40 Krag. Will be set up for the browning BPCR sights and a 'spare" Unertl that is languishing in the safe.

Yup, Wayne's book is worth its weight in gold. Very handy reference.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts