Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how well Cowboy action Wax bullets would work
in a lever action? I'm talking anout 38 Special because that is the cases they
make that are reamed out to use the shotgun primers.
Cheap enough to shoot a lot and supposedly good to about 30 feet.
21 feet in a revolver.
No reloading equipment needed and they use shotgun primers
instead of regular primers.
Has anyone tried this?

·
Super Moderator
12,614 Posts
Used to "cast" our own wax boolits by dipping a brass with the rim cutoff into a melted pot. Just blow or poke 'em out when cool.
Now this was with a pistola but I can't imagine they'd do anything bad in a rifle. Couple of followup shots with a real boolit clears residue out nicely.

Reactions: Condition 1

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They all melted?!
That must have been one hot day!

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Don't know how it will work in a rifle, but something I have done for years in small pistols, .380 and 9mm size.
I use Jewelers wax as the projectile. I have no idea what the wax composition is, but it is very dense and rigid, I get the sheets at Michael's arts and crafts, they're 14"x12", and a pale tan/beige color for around 6 dollars.
I size and prime like regular with standard small pistol primers, then make my projectiles by simply pressing the case into the sheet of wax (cookie cutter). 1/4 inch thick does the trick perfectly for my application.
you have to feed the shells one at a time, but they have a pretty aggressive muzzle velocity, and are really accurate out to about 30 feet, enough to go right thru a piece of paper, and lodge into a hefty cardboard backer. without any scientific evidence, I would "guess-timate" around 300-400 fps... (we compared them alongside a paintball gun that was chronoed' at 400fps, and it is about or a little less than that.)

The 380 is a Taurus TCP with a 3 inch barrel, and the 9mm is a colt 1911 with a 5 inch barrel..... I can get about 50 or so shots before I notice any wax buildup, or accuracy issues.. best of all I can shoot indoors all i want when I cant get to the range, and I don't have to modify/ruin the cases, I just go thru primers like a madman!

Reactions: GaCop
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.