Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks just wondering if any one here uses synthetic gear lube for your manual or automatic transmissions.I know I need to install a clutch very soon but with 210,000 on it am seriously considering doing in the next couple of weeks.I have a Bronco II that I have been using Mobil 1 5w30 and changing at 3500 to 4500 miles and it burns not a drop of oil and the 2.9 motor runs fantastic and I claim a lot of that to the synthetic oil.You know we all like to change the oil on a regular basis but sometimes most people me included dont change the transmission lube often as we need to.Been reading a lot on the Red Line Synthetic transmission lube and could not believe all the great reports people reported how much it improved the shifting and noise reduction in standard and automatics.So if any one here uses it I would love to hear your results good or bad.Let me know what brand you were using as I am still in the search and evaluation stage but I do believe I am going to go to synthetic gear lube for sure.I did have a lube change done to transmission-transfer case-both rear and front end about a year ago.I would rather pay more for lube and changes than a transmission rebuild costing 2000.00 or even more.Looking forward to any feedback from anyone! Vaslugger

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
I've used Dexron VI since it cam out. I do pan drops and filter changes on my 91 sub. The odometer has 249000 miles on it. I have no idea how many miles are on the current tranny build. I really doubt the 700r4 factory built tranny survived this long. Anyway, haven't noticed any benefit either way.

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts
Synthetic oils are smaller molecular structured oils.
A small drip occasionally with regular oil will be a pretty fair leak with synthetics.
So keep in mind if you want to do it may just cause you more problems down the road.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I always use synthetic gear oils in my big truck. The drive axles in my present truck have 1.2 million miles on them right now and all is well. If you have the transmission out for a clutch change, I reccomend changing the seals while its out. Sometimes seals that didn't leak before in high mileage vehicles will start to leak after changing from mineral based oils to synthetic.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys.For sure when I replace the clutch I will replace any seals that I can get to.When I was checking out Red Line I did not know so many top NHRA drag racers were using the products in high horse power motors.I go to the drag races where I live a lot and know the power they produce and the need to have good protection.While I dont race any longer I know the importance of having a good lubricant and appreciate the good products available we have today as there are many.The internet has become a great tool for research that I did not have 25 years ago and the great forums that are out there to offer a lot of reliable information after you weed thru it and separate the good from the bad.All feedback is much appreciated! vaslugger

1 - 6 of 6 Posts