Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to reloading and am pricing out kits. The lee classic anneversary kit is a great deal right now and I would like to buy it just to try out reloading and see if it is indeed for me. I would use it until I wanted an upgrade (if ever) in the future. I was told that lee equipment only uses lee dies. I am worried that if I go this route I wont find lee dies for my 308mx... as I was told this by a salesman in a store,that doesnt carry lee I thought I might do some reserch here about it before buying anything. I shoot 45/70, 308mx, and 243. I may add a 3006 or 270 if I really get into reloading. Need some advice... is the super cheap (300 cheaper) lee kit gonna cut it, will I be able to interchange dies, will I need to interchange dies??? I should add I have no plans for handgun reloading in the future.

Please help ???

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
I used to have a Lee press and it took standard dies with 7/8-13 thread. I also still have a few Lee Dies that fit my RCBS presses.
Sorry for the typo, 7/8-14 thread.
Joe

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts
I bought lee for my 45-70 fit my RCBS rockchucker. Never ran into that issue :)

·
Premium Member
18,025 Posts
All standard dies are 7/8-14 thread, and are interchangeable. I used mostly Lee Dies (I like them the best) but I also have dies from RCBS and several other companies. They all work in my Lee presses.

Skookumrob said:
I was told that lee equipment only uses lee dies......as I was told this by a salesman in a store,that doesnt carry lee
Either he doesn't know diddly about Lee equipment, or he's trying to sell you what HE carries by badmouthing the Lee stuff. ::)

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I posted this somewhere else too, for skook...but just to make sure he sees it.

Midway has the Lee Challenger press kits on sale right now for $89...I have no experience with those presses, but I do know straight walled rounds don't work a press all that hard. That 243 on the other hand will give it a workout if you don't use a good case neck lube...I'm not saying the press isn't up to it, just that those small necks give em a workout without a good lube.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=423081 (sale ends 6/30/11)

Re the dies and threads:

Didn't Redding at one time or another use some funky threads on something? I can't remember, maybe that was casting stuff...

·
Registered
103 Posts
I find Lee dies rust if not taken care of. I put a little oil on the outside of them and put them in a ziplock bag. this seems to solve the problem. I even use lee dies in my RL550B dillon press. I reload for about 12 calibers. I have used RCBS and Lyman dies. I have never had a problem with any dies yet and I have been reloading since 1960.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I'm using a Lee anniversary kit, and am using Bonanza (now Forster) dies for 30-30. Haven't had a problem yet.

·
Registered
811 Posts
The only dies I know to stay away from are for the Dillon Square Deal press. The SD only does pistol ammo. The rest of Dillon's dies are standard 7/8 14 threads.
Like others here I have both Lee and RCBS presses and Lee, RCBS, Lyman and Bonanza dies.
CF

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey ridge runner I did see your post and thanks for the info. I was just curious about interchanging dies from other brands into a lee press :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey stevens 520 thanks for the response, how do you like your annivesary kit?

·
Premium Member
7,694 Posts
My 30-30 setup on my Dillon uses A lyman sizer. Dillon powder die. Durachrome seater. and Lee crimp die.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Skookumrob said:
Hey stevens 520 thanks for the response, how do you like your annivesary kit?
I love it, just don't leave out a means to calibrate your scale. I picked up a set of lyman test weights, the thing was off by 5 grains. ;)

·
Registered
180 Posts
I'm using the Lee Challenger Breech Lock set here 3030,223,35s all lee dies, no issues so far I did get a little set of digital scales Frankford Arsenal 8)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Think I will definitely pick one up if there are any left on payday (the lee set) thanks for the tip about the scales being out... You would think if you manufactured something to safely measure domestic explosives you might be concerned with little bitty details like accuracy ???

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
They have a little nut that you turn to calibrate them, isn't that hard to turn it either. I check mine before weighing any powder, just in case the kids have discovered it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, that makes sense... Hey mabye all the defective remlins I keep reading about have a calibration screw hidden under the butt plate or somthin' ;) ;D ;)

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Chihuahua Floyd said:
The only dies I know to stay away from are for the Dillon Square Deal press. The SD only does pistol ammo. The rest of Dillon's dies are standard 7/8 14 threads.
Like others here I have both Lee and RCBS presses and Lee, RCBS, Lyman and Bonanza dies.
CF
Lyman also makes a hand press for reloading that is a lot like the SDB press dies, and they were made more compact for less weight and room. I used to have one but sold it many years ago, when purchasing hand presses the size of thread is listed and several other manufactures make them in 7/8-14 and what ever the smaller size is. I have some adapters for 7/8-14 to the other.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Reloaders are lucky that today dies and shell holders are generally usable in most reloading presses.
60+ years ago that was not the case. For example Lyman had two thread sizes for their dies.
Some brands of presses did not use removable shell holders. To reload a cartridge of a different head size, you had to change the entire ram.
Other presses with removable shell holders had various methods of holding them in place. Screw in, held in place with a nut, held in place by setscrews, etc.
M.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
80hp said:
Reloaders are lucky that today dies and shell holders are generally usable in most reloading presses.
60+ years ago that was not the case. For example Lyman had two thread sizes for their dies.
Some brands of presses did not use removable shell holders. To reload a cartridge of a different head size, you had to change the entire ram.
Other presses with removable shell holders had various methods of holding them in place. Screw in, held in place with a nut, held in place by setscrews, etc.
M.
+1 I still have some of the older gear and still use it. Shown below is a picture of a standard 7/8-14 press thread and an old adapter along with an old Lyman die. I have other old reloading equipment including an old hand primer seat that takes screw in shell holders.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts