Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, All -

I have some .35 rem ammo from the 1950's and was wondering if it is ok to shoot it? There is no corrosion, but the brass has darkened a bit.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
11,750 Posts
From a non expert I would use common sense. If it looks bad from the outside I would not risk my face and hands to shoot it. If they are factory loads and not eaten up with rust and corrosion shoot them. Any old reloads or really nasty looking stuff I would send to BuffaloBob to shoot. :biggrin:

·
Registered
569 Posts
I still shoot ammo my grandfather had when I find it lying around in the many boxes of old stuff he left everywhere. If it still looks good why not?

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
A friend gave me some 30-30 rounds the other day. He wanted to keep the box since that particular ammo hadn't been sold since the mid 1940s. They all shot great, but I did notice that the powder had a different aroma. Still stimulating, but different.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
+1! Go for it! :top:

·
Registered
9,017 Posts
i use powder for reloading from the 60's it still shoots tight groups and kills deer dead da.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Agreed, nothing wrong with shooting old ammo. Just make sure it's not corroded. They used different powder way back then so it smells different than what we are accustomed to these days. But it worked then, so it still should now.

Ron

·
Premium Member
836 Posts
I've been shooting mil-surplus from the 40s with no problems at all. Some of it shows a little bit "green" on the cases but it still shoots fine.

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
I don't know how old this stuff is but I traded a guy some bullets for 6 boxes of brass for 300 H&H and its in the old remington green and red boxes with Kleanbore wrote on the front. There was one box of 20 factory loaded 180 gn soft points that were almost green. A little work with some fine steel wool and they look like new and shoot good. I don't know for sure but the older brass seems to be of better quality.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Sounds to me like they'd be ok to shoot.

I'm no sure when they stoped making corrosive primers in the US, but I do know they were used in the second world war.
To not take any chances, I would flush the bore with water then clean with regular solvent.
Corrosive primers will quickly rust the bore, and bolt face.

·
Registered
244 Posts
If the box says Kleenbore then I think means that it is non-corrosive. To be sure, look on the side of the box, my old Kleenbore boxes say non-corrosive on the sides. I've shot some old 30 REM ammo that were green and they fired fine, some split the neck. I think the brass was just too hard from age.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Either it will go ............boom or ...........click. But if it looks good , give it a try.

Although, the price of a new box of 35 ammo is around $20 + .

·
Administrator
23,798 Posts
1950s I think I would see if there is some collector interest first.

I sold some .32 Winchester silvertips 150gn from the 50s to a collector I got with my .32 when I bought it. They were rare.

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts
Either it will go ............boom or ...........click. But if it looks good , give it a try.

Although, the price of a new box of 35 ammo is around $20 + .
If you are getting 35ammo for $20 a box I think a heads up for the rest of us is in order because here it is almost $30 + Tax now.
Or Buy it all because I have not seen it that cheap in a long time.

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
It is probably fine, but I would pay some extra attention when shooting it. Years ago my father gave me some boxes of old 30-06 ammo to shoot up he had had sitting around his house. I noticed the first couple/few rounds were a little harder to extract than normal, but seemed OK, and then the next one blew up in my rifle. It felt like sand was thrown in my face, smoke coming out of the rilfe everywhere, and freaked me out some, LOL! When I finally removed the case it looked like somebody had taken a blow-torch and cut it down most of the length. I dumped the rest of it, not worth it to me. I don't know how old it was, but it looked fine externally, except perhaps not being quite as shiny as new ammo. Anyway, I'd just be aware of possibilities is all, feel for differences and/or check the cases of the first couple etc.
Also as mentioned, depending on what it is, it might have some collector value... even the empty boxes. I've seen people buying and selling older brands/boxes and such online, and there is a menu section in here too on the stuff.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts