Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your thoughts on using a lapping compound on points of contact and just working the action over and over. Is there any reason this would be a bad idea?

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
No. It will work. Just clean the parts 100% when you are done. As an alternative you can always oil the contact surfaces and work the action smoothly 100 times. Then wipe the "dirty" oil off and repeat as needed. The parts will mate either way.

·
Registered
16 Posts
What are your thoughts on using a lapping compound on points of contact and just working the action over and over. Is there any reason this would be a bad idea?
Way too easy to overdo it. Go to the $1 store. Buy the biggest, cheapest tube of "whitening" toothpaste you can find. Slather it over the surfaces you want polished, & work away on the lever. When it stops feeling gritty from the toothpaste, add more. When even adding more toothpaste doesn't seem to make working the action noticeably grittier again, clean it all off: you're done.

How it works: toothpaste makes a good low damage polishing medium - it typically has a bunch of calcium carbonate [crushed limestone] in it to cut thru the bacteriological slime on the surface of our teeth & gently rub off the top layer of the tooth to make it look "sparkly." That's why the cheaper brands are better: limestone costs less than fluoride! ;)

·
Registered
910 Posts
a friend took an old third world copy of a smith and wesson and took off the side plate, filled the action with something called (fritz i think) then dry fired it for a month while watching tv. its smooth as butter now. i wouldnt have done it, but it worked great for him.

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
I've worked a few bolts and levers over with lapping compound. It works pretty good. I purchased a pretty nice mauser action once and by the time I had gone over it with jeweler files and lapping compound it was much much better. In fact that one is fixing to be a 7x57imp.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Just don't get greedy. Use a very fine lapping or even polishing medium. It takes a while to remove much material at all
with this stuff which makes it safer. Go slow, check your work often and clean the devil out of everything when your done.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Regular lapping compound embeds into the metal and WILL continue to cut the metal long after you have cleaned the parts and put it back together. Brownell's carries NON embedding lapping compound. That would be the thing to do. Regular lapping compound works fine for hand lapping a barrel. Who cares if it laps the bullet as it goes down the barrel? Just be aware that it will continue to cut the metal after it's "cleaned".

1 - 10 of 10 Posts