Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like improve the trigger in my Marlin and i went to recommended link by Jonah and in the section on working the sear, he recommends a Marvel 1911 Sear/Hammer jig. I have done several 1911 trigger jobs with my Ed Brown jig and I'm wondering if anyone here on the forum has used the Ed Brown jig for their Marlin sear?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Jertex, I was the one who originally wrote the article on using the Marvel jig to clean up the Marlin sear because that was what I had at the time. I am currently using the Power Custom Series I stoning fixture with the Marlin 336 adapter. It's easier to use than the Marvel jig, and allows me to easily adjust the angle of the sear. To answer your question I have not used the Ed Brown jig.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I forgot I had asked this question, I appreciate the response. My trigger definitely could be better on my 1894 and I'll probably just buy a kit to improve it. They're fairly inexpensive and safer than trying to make my 1911 jig work on a Marlin rifle. I don't like touching the sear without the correct tool.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Jertex, what is the correct sear profile from your testing? Do you use a secondary angle on the sear as we do for 1911 sears? I am getting ready to do a trigger job on my new 94c. The sear surface looks like it was gnawed off by a beaver.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
When I did the trigger on my 336 I looked at my Ed Brown 1911 jig and figured I couldn't make it work. I made a jig using a small hobby vise. There are some good threads about doing your own trigger in the gunsmithing section. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jertex, what is the correct sear profile from your testing? Do you use a secondary angle on the sear as we do for 1911 sears? I am getting ready to do a trigger job on my new 94c. The sear surface looks like it was gnawed off by a beaver.
I never used the jig & just had my gunsmith do the work. I traded a Lowrance fishfinder for $500 in gunsmithing work, so it was a win/win. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts