Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend and i have booked an African safari for this summer and the only thing up in the air for us is whether or not to use a broker to get our trophies back into the states vs doing the paperwork and pick up ourselves. We live in PA so getting to the port (Baltimore or NYC) isn't the issue. Looking for folks who have actually done it one way or the other to chime in. thanks BTW i'll be taking my trusty 308 MXLR for all you fellow marlin express nutz!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Years ago my Father went to Africa and when his hides arrived at the point of entry, the labeling on the boxes did not match the contents. U.S. Fish and Wildlife threatened to arrest him and seize his hides. The broker stepped in and took care of things.

In 1996 my Father went to Africa and finally was able to get his leopard. He had heart attack four days after arriving home and died. When the Professional Hunter learned he had died, he refused to ship the hide. The broker went way out of his way to get the hide shipped to the U.S. Without his assistance and knowing who to contact and how to work the system, I would not been able to get the hide.

Hiring a broker is insurance and you getting your trophies.

RDE

Hiring a broker

·
Registered
128 Posts
Use a "meet and greet" service on the Africa end to help get you through their gun process and use a broker on this end for your trophies. It's money well spent to insure a smooth and painless hunting adventure of a life time. I used both in 2007 when I went to Africa and it's a very small expense compared to the rest of the hunt. Good luck on your trip!

Reactions: me

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I haven't been on safari, but my dentist made the trip about 3 years ago. His trip was planned directly with a professional hunter without the benefit of an intermediary to help with trip details or getting the trophies home. As of my last dental checkup, he doesn't even know where the trophies are. I don't pretend to know how a broker works or what the service costs, but there is risk in working only with the PH.

·
Premium Member
11,844 Posts
See about contacting Maddog, he's a member who posts here time to time and has made a couple of African safaris. I thought his way of dealing with the trophies worked out really well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts