Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When using GOEX in a cartridge rifle, how many shots can you reasonably expect before a cleaning is required? :hmmmm:
I know in my muzzle loaders I can get about five down range before a cleaning is required and was wondering if the same would apply to a cartridge rifle.

Thanks,

HA

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
It will depend upon the bullet you are using and the lube. If the bullet profile is very blunt with a full diameter well forward, it may give problems chambering sooner than a more tapered bullet. Some lubricants keep the fouling softer/longer than others. In my 1895CB, using 70 gr Goex 2Fg under the Lyman 457122 (340 gr hp) I get 9-10 shots without blow tubeing. The gun will shoot more than 50 shots if I blow tube every 2 or three shots.

·
Registered
676 Posts
There is a way around real cleaning or blow tubing when using black in a lever gun, use an under sized bore snake with a wet patch on the bristle part of the snake. It will control the fouling but the snake gets abit messy. Of course after you are done shooting you will still have to do a good cleaning.

·
Registered
11,867 Posts
Not the same cartridge you are loading for, but I have been loading 44-40 with Goex, and Swiss B.P. and using different bullets and lube. With Goex I notice change in accuracy in 5-8 shots. Swiss works better as far as fouling is concerned, if all items for the reload stay the same and only change to Swiss, I can get 30 rounds with out seeing a degrading in accuracy. SPG lube is a big help, but good home brewed lube is also very effecting. Moisture and keeping the fouling soft is what helps. If you can find Swiss and SPG give then a try and see if you notice the difference. It was night and day for me in the 44-40. I am now working on 45-60 using Goex and Swiss. We will see how the effects of fouling go with this cartridge. Good luck with the 45-70 and have fun.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
A blow tube is a piece of flexible tube that can be inserted int the chamber. You then blow into the tube. The moisture and warmth of your breath helps keep the fouling soft.
You can also flush the barrel while shooting. Find one of the plastic sport water bottles with the bit of hose on the cap. Fill with hot water and a drop or two of dish soap. Insert the end of the tube into the chamber (muzzle down) and then give a bit of a squeeze to force some of the water down the bore. Allow all of the water to drain out before resuming shooting.
The worst part is cleaning the cases. BP will do a job on the brass. As soon as you shoot, put the case into a milk jug filled with hot water and soap. Allow the cases to soak until you get home and can de-cap them, dry and tumble. If you can find them, Remington makes a nickle plated case that helps a lot.
Good luck and try to shoot in a cross or tail wind.....

Reactions: dhansen

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info on the blow tube Bill. I was curious about black as I'm waiting on my order of Trail Boss to show up. I think I'll wait for it.

HA

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Huntaway: with a Duplex Black Powder charge there is no blow tubing or wiping between shots. I have shot a Duplex loads for my .45-2.4 Sharps (AKA .45-90) and .45-110 Borchardt.

Easy to clean up, can fire multiple rounds w/o bore cleaning as there is almost no fouling left in the case or bore.

I load Trail Boss in my .45 Colt pistols, where it works well. Also found some .45-70 load data for Trail Boss, but it seems to be rather "anemic" with a bullet weighing more than 300 grains. See:

http://www.imrpowder.com/data/rifle/trailboss-oct2005.php

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
When using GOEX in a cartridge rifle, how many shots can you reasonably expect before a cleaning is required? :hmmmm:
I use 3f, and can shoot a box of 50, and still shoot more, only load 50 at a time.

There is this cool stuff called Thompson Center 1000+ products. Been using them since they came out in the flinter, just made sense to use them in the cartridges.

FYI, I only clean my flinter once a year, in Sept after he last rondy of the year

1 - 10 of 10 Posts