Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seem to be the least expensive way to go hunting Elmer Fudd style.

Anyone got any experience with how these basic old guns are holding up?

Some are designated "A" or "C". What does that mean?:hmmmm:

·
Super Moderator
5,162 Posts
great utilitarian upland guns on the cheap.Good chance even an older one will outlast you!.I have owned a few and have no complaints.

·
Premium Member
17,018 Posts
Hey Twopass,

The 311 is a fine shotgun.

Have a 16 ga. M/F. Need to let the birds and bunnies get out a "bit". (or "edge" the pattern, on a "close" critter)LOL!

33 year old has a 12 ga. M/F. Same deal.

Fantastic SxS's!

Later, Mark

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I have a J.C. Higgins labeled 311 that I bought used in '72; 30" barrel, case hardened breech, beechwood stock, full/modified choke. It doesn't look like much but it shoots great.

·
Registered
9,956 Posts
A solid hunting gun. They are not fancy, but well built and will last.

·
Premium Member
15,449 Posts
I have a 16 gauge, made in the 40's and it still shoots fine, action still is tight today.
they are good utility guns

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
Good guns. I was kinda upset when my son sold his without offering me first crack at it. (grumble,grumble).

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
Fine SxS's have the 12,16 and 20 all made in the late 70's all still shoot great.

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Seem to be the least expensive way to go hunting Elmer Fudd style.

Anyone got any experience with how these basic old guns are holding up?

Some are designated "A" or "C". What does that mean?:hmmmm:
The letters are for each series. The "H" series was last series when production stopped somewhere around the late 80's. I currently have an "H" in 20 ga, which is a good gun but the earlier one's had better wood and metal finish.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I've owned a few and they've all been great guns. They are store brand grad guns, blocky, a tad heavy, and won't handle quite like a L.C. Smith, Ithaca, or Parker. But they don't cost a fraction of those other guns either. Also they're built like tanks and give very little trouble. I'd take one in a heart beat over the Turkish stuff some seem to go crazy over.

Here the normal thing was to cut them down to 28 or 26 inches and use them for quail or rabbits, as the full/modified guns were choked really tight. Sometimes you'll get lucky and run up on one choked imp cyl/modified. Those are real gems. The ones I've cut down and patterned seemed to open up to a nice imp cyl pattern. I don't know if they were choked farther down the barrel than some brands, or if it was just dumb luck.

I currently have an old 16 gauge Springfield 311 (forerunner to the Stevens 311) from the 20's-30's as best I can tell. It started out 28 inch mod/full and was cut down to 26 inches. It use has been a great rabbit gun with 1 oz of 6 shot. Rabbits out to 35 yards are DRT. Here 20 gauges get spendy fast, .410's are crazy, 16's are practically given away, and a 12 has to be in real good shape to be a $250 gun. The older ones will have nicer wood, be more refined, thinner wrists, and be much more graceful. The newer ones will be blocky and not near as pretty.

Reactions: kybob and msharley

·
Registered
767 Posts
I have a 12 and a 20. I've used a 311 since the middle 60s. When we had pheasants they we my favorite shotgun, I've used them on chuckars, rabbits, doves, ducks, quail, blue and ruffed grouse. I never found a reason to complain

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Sounds like everyone likes them, and no doubt they're stout, but I think they handle like a 4x4. I guess it depends on what you want it for. There are better choices though. I paid 350 for a miroku made model 500 sxs and there is simply no comparison to a 311 or Fox B. Although I have quite a few older O/U and sxs shotguns, they're no good for serious buckshot, they don't shoot slugs and are not a realistic waterfowl gun. If you're looking for something other than that they are kind of fun.

·
Banned
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks again for the feedback. Don't matter much if'n those 311's are a little clunky 'cause I'm not much of a threat to the wing-ed critters of the forest anyhow. :marchmellow:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts